The August month for Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 users came with a surprise. The updates from the Microsoft arrived on schedule but this time there was an erratic behavior in one of the updates. The update MS14-045 can make using the fonts in Windows 8/8.1 a trying experience. This update may lock the fonts, render them incorrectly or in the worst case scenario throws the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) on your screen. Listening to the outcry of the Windows users, Microsoft has issued a guideline for removing this update from your Windows.
Here is how you can remove this MS014-045 update from your Windows 8/8.1 PC in case you are experience blue screen of death issues:
- Since you are having a blue screen of death in Windows, you cannot just remove the MS14-045 update from within Windows. You have to reboot into the safe mode. In order to boot into the safe mode, restart your PC and when you see the log in screen, press the Shift key and click on the Power icon and select Restart. Upon restart, you have to choose the Safe mode from the list of options.
- Once inside the safe mode, open a command prompt (Win+X, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”) and give the following command: del %WINDOWS%system32fntcache.dat
- Reboot into Windows normally, you will not see any of the font related problems for some time. Open registry editor, and export this key (save it somewhere on your PC): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFonts
- Go through all the fonts under this key in the registry that have path names like “C:WindowsFontsArial.ttf” and delete them. Similarly, delete all the OTF font references under this key.
- Once again, open a command prompt (Win+X, select “Command Prompt (Admin)”) and give the following command: del %WINDOWS%system32fntcache.dat
- Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Installed Updates and uninstall the updates that are labeled KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331.
- Right-click on the registry file that you saved in step 3 and select Merge.
- After a reboot, your PC will have no more blue death of screen problems. Now you can wait for Microsoft to release another update to take care of the situation.
The August month for Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 users came with a surprise. The updates from the Microsoft arrived on schedule but this time there was an erratic behavior in one of the updates. The update MS14-045 can make using the fonts in Windows 8/8.1 a trying experience. This update may lock the fonts, render them [...]
Every holiday I receive several requests from dedicated software developers to promote their giveaway. And this season is no different. Each time I go through them all and pick the ones I believe you, our loyal follower would love to get. This time around I thought I would collect them all in one place. Read [...]
You’ve probably already read about the two great programs we reviewed last week: Apowersoft Video Download Capture and Apowersoft Streaming Audio Recorder. It turns out Apowersoft would like to host a giveaway on our site, and as you know – We LOVE giveaways here at Mintywhite, so we’weren’t exactly hard to ask. Read more after the break [...]
Windows Guides’ Rating 5 out of 5 Compatible with System PROS: Easy to use. Powerful functionality for downloading most streaming videos. CONS: The limited video edit features could easily be improved to make this a program for all your needs. VERDICT: A great tool for downloading streaming videos off the net. But also a [...]
Windows Guides’ Rating 4 out of 5 Compatible with System PROS: Feature rich, yet simple UI. Easy to use. Great audio quality. CONS: I could benefit from having a main page where you can find all main functions on one plate, so you don’t have to look for it. oh, wait that’s why we [...]
Windows Guides’ Rating 5 out of 5 Compatible with System Reboot Delete File Ex is a completely free software designed to simply delete a file on the next reboot. Sometimes you may not be able to delete a file because it is locked or in use by other applications, or because it is a malware [...]
Congratulations to the winners of the Jabra Speak 510 (see here for the review): Luis F Vasquez Michael Charney James Kelly Robert Gorman Keep checking mintywhite.com for more great giveaways and competitions! Get FREE books (Password: mintywhiteBooks) © Windows Guides, 2013. Rich Robinson | Jabra Speak 510 Winners
Get FREE books (Password: mintywhiteBooks) © Windows Guides, 2013. Rich Robinson | Last chance to win a Jabra Speak 510 bluetooth speaker
Windows Guides’ Rating 4.5 out of 5 Compatible with System PROS: Comes with case, small and lightweight, looks good, easy to use, great sound quality and microphone, touch buttons, input via Bluetoth and USB, output via 3.5mm jack CONS: Quite expensive (although all professional products seem to have a similar price tag).VERDICT: A modern, [...]