There’s already online the new 6.2 release of the Virtual Earth that has some awesome new features that will be briefly described here:
- First release of the Virtual Earth Web Services, that will allow developers to use Virtual Earth features by using only the Web Services. Can be thought as an alternative to the Map Point Web Service. The features made available by the Web Service are:
- Imagery Metadata – Information about the map tiles that are served.
- Geocoding and Reverse Geocoding – Allows developers to request the Geocode based on an address
- Static Map Generation – Provides the capability of developing our own map because it provides access to all the tiles and data used by Virtual Earth.
- Search – Allows developers to provide access to search option about where and what on Virtual Earth.
- Routing – Provides access to calculate routes by using the Service
- One-click Directions – Provides one-click directions without having to provide the start point.
International Reverse Geocoding – this was an important because it improved the geocoding not only in the US but also in other countries.
- Rooftop geocoding for something like 85 million locations
- Improved the near matched – The interest point search in the nearby areas were improved.
- Maps for Mobile Devices – by using the Virtual Earth Web Services will be easy to develop high performance maps applications for mobile devices.
- Localized Maps – A major improvement because now we can see the Map information in several languages.
- Localized Directions – A major improvement because now we can see the directions in several languages. Something like 15 languages.
- Imagery Metadata – Important because now we can have information about when the information was updated.
- 3D Import capabilities – Improvements in the process of custom 3D elements import.
- 3D Imagery – Higher quality in 3D views.
- Pushpin clustering – Allows to change the pushpin clustering to custom ones.
- Weather Integration – The 3D view now has the weather information, by having clouds in case of a cloudy weather, and without clouds in case of sunny sky. Doesn’t support for now: Rain, Snow.