Just a while ago I was talking about Data Services and suddenly a confusion between ADO.NET Data Services and SQL Data Services took place, because we were talking about different Data Services, and so in order to try to clarify the differences I remembered to write this post.
There are two types of Data Services that are:
- SQL Data Services
- Cloud – at this moment is being converted from ACE (Activity, Container and Entity) to TDS (Tabular Data Stream) as I’ve presented in this post.
- In this case we are talking about a Database in the Cloud and the ultimate desire will be to just change the ConnectionString used.
- ADO.NET Data Services aka. “Project Astoria”
- This one is about making available a set of REST Services on top of ADO.NET
- Highly Extensible:
- Query Filtering (GET requests)
- Operation Filtering (PUT, POST, DELETE, etc requests)
- Making other Operations available with the same capabilities as the ones associated with ADO.NET Data Services.
- and so on.
- This layer can be placed on top of:
- Entity Framework
- Custom CLR Objects
- Where to know more:
- Overview: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc956153.aspx
- Sample: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc748663.aspx
- Offline Version:
Hope it helps you get the confusions out of discussions on this topic.