Search

« May   Jul »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930

Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS. How to recover?

June 26th, 2005 by

From: <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com>

Subject: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to recover

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:56:31 -0700

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

My sharepoint server is running in a shared service environment.  The virtual server that my parent portal was extended from has been deleted from IIS.  How can I salvage this situation?  Unfortunatly I can’t restore from the MeteBase.  What would happen if I delete this parent portal that no longer worked and created a new one?

*************************************

From: “Shane Young”

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to recover

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:49:59 -0400

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

If you delete the parent portal and create a new one on the same farm it should automatically become the new parent.  As you probably have noticed without the parent running your child portals are not happy.  A child can not be promoted to a parent but a new portal you create should become the new parent.  If you backup the parent DB’s you may be able to restore them once you create the new portal.

Shane Young

I will be presenting at SharePoint Advisor Live!

Stop by and say hello.  I will also be at the http://www.SharePointSolutions.com  booth

*************************************

From: <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com>

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to rec

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:33:01 -0700

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

Shane,

Thanks for the post.  I tried deleting the parent portal, but received the following error:

15:28:02 An exception occurred.

System.Configuration.Install.InstallException: Portal virtual server is not extended on this machine.(1a04ba93-3619-416f-99ef-1fd74ac3d316) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Install.c.d(IDictionary A_0) at

Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Admin.b.a()

15:28:02 Portal deletion finished. Status

How can I get around this.  My IIS site was deleted from IIS and I couldn’t restore from the MetaBase.

Thanks

*************************************

From: “Shane Young”

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to rec

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:09:54 -0400

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

What happens if you create a new portal?  Just ignore the old one for the time being and try creating a total separate new portal.

Shane Young

*************************************

From: <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com>

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to rec

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:41:02 -0700

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

When I create a new portal, it says it’s a child of the parent portal (even though it’s not extended on a virtual machine anymore)

*************************************

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to rec

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:49:51 -0400

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

Yuck!  I am not exactly what to tell you then.  Have you tried recreating the parent IIS site and then extending it again and then deleting it?  I am at that point where I would just be guessing so not sure how much I would help.  Sorry.

Shane Young

*************************************

From: <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com>

Subject: Re: Parent Portal’s Virtual Server was deleted in IIS.  How to rec

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:20:02 -0700

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver

That worked!  I created the IIS site as best as I could and extened it.

Then I could delete the parent portal (but I didn’t delete the databases).  Afterwards I couldn’t create a new portal site, but I could restore the delete parent portal.  And now it works just like it use to.

Thanks for all your help.

Posted in SPPS03_Tips | No Comments »