Search

Anonymous Access

January 26th, 2007 by

From: Carmine Iacullo <ciacullo at woboe dot org>
Subject: Anonymous Access
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:07:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

I set up Sharepoint Portal Server 2007 in a small Web Farm scenario and configured my top-level site as a publishing portal (Internet facing site).   I configured anonymous access on the Web server via the Sharepoint Administration tool and setup the top-level site for anonymous access as well.

When I create sub-sites, I set them up for anonymous access as well and I can get to the home page of that site without logging in, but if I try to access the Document Library, I have to sign-in.  This doesn’t make sense since I have allowed the entire site to viewed anonymously.

I have set up anonymous access with the Windows Authentication method.  I have been working on this issue for 4 days and seached various sites for answers.  Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

**************************************

From: “Raphael Londner” <raphael-AT-nospamplease-rlconsulting-dot-eu>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:15:37 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

Looks like you have to disable content approval on that document library.

This is any issue that originally occurred on the Blog site template (which has the Blogs list set up with content approval by default).

HTH,

Raphael.

**************************************

From: Carmine Iacullo
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:19:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

Sorry, still not working.

**************************************

From: Carmine Iacullo
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:33:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

I also discovered this in my troubleshooting; at the root level (/) I do not have anonymous access, but if I make a site collection under /sites/, I have the anonymous access to the whole site.  I am wondering if this was done by design.  Logically, If I enable anonymous access at the root level, all sites and pages should be access anonymously.

**************************************

From: “Hassan Raza” <sww newsgroups nospam>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:52:43 +0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

go to people and groups and from there to permissions, and from there click on stop inheriting permissions from the parent site, when you will do this all sub-sites by default wherever you will do this, they will stop having anonymous access.

**************************************

From: Carmine Iacullo
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:40:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

I tried that method, still no luck.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

**************************************

From: Carmine Iacullo
Subject: Re: Anonymous Access
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:36:35 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.general

I figured out a work around.  I set up another site collection with the sub-site name and provided links to it from the main portal page.  Now the search feature for the sub-site requires authentication to view the results whereas the main page you do not need to authenticate.

Carmine