Search

« Apr   Jun »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031

"Pages" does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue

May 25th, 2007 by

From: “jholliday” <jeff.holliday atgmaildotcom>
Subject: Folder “Pages” does not exist..  Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 7 Mar 2007 09:08:05 -0800

I am receiving the following error when attempting to upgrade the root portal from SharePoint 2003 to MOSS 2007.  The area throwing the error is based on a customized template.  I have created a new WSS 3.0 version of the template and created a corresponding upgrade definition file.  If I delete this area and attempt the upgrade it just hits the next area in the list with the same error (and a different custom template).

>From Upgrade.log:

[PortalSiteUpgradeAreaAndListingData] [12.0.1.0] [INFO] [3/7/2007 9:39:56 AM]: Not detaching landing page from page layout because it is not customized.
[PortalSiteUpgradeAreaAndListingData] [12.0.1.0] [INFO] [3/7/2007 9:39:56 AM]: Moving v2 database landing page content and webparts to v3 landing page…
[PortalSiteUpgradeAreaAndListingData] [12.0.1.0] [INFO] [3/7/2007 9:39:56 AM]: Error moving landing page “
http://server/C8/Benefits/default.aspx“: Folder “Pages” does not exist..  Upgrade cannot continue.
[PortalSiteUpgradeAreaAndListingData] [12.0.1.0] [INFO] [3/7/2007 9:39:56 AM]: Upgrade encountered an unexpected error.  Halting upgrade…

I have seen this error posted multiple times with no resolution.  Just hoping someone would know how to fix this by now…

Thanks,
Jeff

**************************************

From: “Jerry” <yasir.attiq atgmaildotcom>
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 28 Mar 2007 13:16:14 -0700

Jeff,

Please find some help in my blog post given below.

Please do leave comment if you find the post useful.

Regards,
Jerry

**************************************

From: “jholliday”
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 11 Apr 2007 09:06:18 -0700

This was a stupid mistake on my part.  I misspelled the site
definition and it did not match up to the one listed in my upgrade XML
files.

Jeff

**************************************

From: “Rahul” <rahulchug atgmaildotcom>
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 11 Apr 2007 10:07:09 -0700

Hi Jeff.

i have been following the post as well as methodology of upgrading Custom SPS 2003 areas into SPS 2007. I know all my upgrade file are correct. The site definition i copied (which is on of the steps) under “12” folder is from the SPSTOPIC of 2007.

the frustating part is after couple of iterations I am still getting the same error.

“pages folder cannot be moved”. I searched for the the feature sequence and they all have been activated.

Any clue??

**************************************

From: “jholliday”
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 11 Apr 2007 10:13:28 -0700

Were the Template IDs of your custom site definitions all over 10000?

**************************************

From: Rahul
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 20 Apr 2007 17:12:39 -0700

Jeff,

Sorry for the late reply.
I was using the custom template. Now i am able to successfully migrate Area (2003) to 2007 .
Problem was, that the resource webpart was not correctly mapping to the 2007. so I removed it and migration went OK.

Other question that I have , now i was on the task to migrate the DocLib from 2003 with the meta- data’s to 2007. I was struggling to get it working but it didn’t for some days. until by fluke (which i do not know whether that’s correct or not ) changed the ID , Type  attribute in the new feature’s schema.xml ,  to deploy the new doc library. Now i could sucessfully see the document ported(migrated) from 2003 to 2007 , I also see the meta – data in the default view.

Problem
—Pre – requisite —

I am clicking on the document library link. While I edit / View / Upload the document i do not see the dialog box coming up and asking for details of that meta-data. I have made every attribute in the content type as well fields CAML to TRUE except read only so that i can be sure that it asks me while uplaoding a new Document.

But here’s what surprises me the new document library that i instaled using features asks me everything. but the old one althogh it shows the data in the view (grid) but does not while updating/Adding.

Any ideas would be appreciated??

Thanks

Rahul

**************************************

From: noelgd1 atgmaildotcom
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 1 May 2007 13:07:55 -0700

Are you still struggling with this?

**************************************

From: Rahul
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 1 May 2007 14:33:30 -0700

Yes I am still Struggling with it. Dont know where i am going wrong. why the meta data not showing up while editing existing or uploading new documents in the document library.

**************************************

From: noelgd1 atgmaildotcom
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 2 May 2007 17:32:16 -0700

Rahul,
if you go into advanced settings and click on “allow management of content types” you will see two content types one of them will be the out of box Document Content Type and second one should be the content type with which you associated your custom document library feature.

Now if you try to do a upload to your library you should have the option to select the content type with the default being the “Document” content type.

The problem with upgrade that i found out is that if you have modified the out of box custom list for document i.e doclib which use the type as 101 in 2003,the upgrade automatically does not take care of upgrading them to your custom content type and instead uses the “Document” content type as the default one.try changing the default content type to your custom in the document libary settings and you will see that when you upload a new document you see the new content type and all your meta data associated with it but you wont see that when you edit an existing document migrated over from 2003.

I dont know if there is any other way to tackle this other than the workaround that i came across.if you navigate to %System Drive/C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions \12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\ctypes ,there is a file with the name ctypeswss.xml which has definition of all the out of box content types provided by moss 2007.you will have to reference all your custom meta data under this document content type.Make sure you keep a backup of this file i.e. ctypewss.xml before doing changes to the files.if you reference all your fields in this file ,then you will see them in the upgraded library when you do a a new upload or edit an existing document.

One more note if you do the above changes and I am sure your problem should be resolved,I would suggest keeping track of those changes since you might have to re-apply them just in case Service Packs are released for MOSS 2007 in the future and you plan to update your environment.ctypes is a out of box feature and service pack updates might changes the xml or something in these files.

Noel

**************************************

From: <Frank discussions microsoft com>
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:09:02 -0700

Hi,

I’m also having this Folder “Pages” does not exist problem.
I’ve even given the ID on my custom site definitions new ID’s over 10000
(the old ones from SPS 2003 ranges from 37 to 43).

But still I get this error in my upgrade.log file. I’m doing a content
database migration.
Here’s my log text:

[log output here.  Lots of log output.]

Nothing new there I suppose.
Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thanks a bunch! 🙂

Regards,

Frank 🙂

**************************************

From: noelgd1
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: 9 May 2007 10:24:25 -0700

First of all .Did you create any site definition files in 2003.if so you need to create upgrade definition files and new site definition files which has the same matching template id as 2003 in 2007 .please refer the following blog from Joel Oleson for more details.

**************************************

From: <Frank
Subject: Re: Folder “Pages” does not exist.. Upgrade cannot continue
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 01:37:02 -0700

Hi.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, we had created site definitions in 2003, and I’ve recreated those in 2007, and given them the same ID as they had in 2003.

I should mention that many of our site definitions in 2003 didn’t have an ID > 10000. They ranged from 37-43, and from 1001-1017. So I assigned the new site definitions in 2007 the same IDs. When I perform the upgrade (in our test environment), the upgrade log file (in the 12 hive\LOGS) reports that it successfully find the site definitions (with the help of my upgrade definition file).

So what I’m saying is that the requirement that many people have been talking about regarding that you MUST use an ID > 10000 on your site definitions, doesn’t seem to be valid. Not in my case anyway.

Anyway, this had actually nothing to do with my problem.  I managed to fix the error, though. One of the new site definitions was not functioning correctly. The onet.xml file was copied from and based on a “team site” site definition (STS), while the belonging default.aspx file was based on a “portal” file (SPS).

This is how the default.aspx file looks like in the SPS site definition:

<%@ Page
Inherits=”Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.TemplateRedirectionPage,Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” %>

<%@ Reference VirtualPath=”~TemplatePageUrl” %>
<%@ Reference VirtualPath=”~masterurl/custom.master” %>

When you onet.xml file is set up wrong, like in my case, the Publishing Feature is not applied. (You can check this in SiteTemplates\STS\XML\ONET.XML for example.). This Feature does the work in creating the required “Pages” folder when creating a so-called “portal” site.

Hope this helps.