27 Oct 2008

On Migration – Exchange and Quotas

Author: q | Filed under: Frustrations, Migration, SBS 2008

This post will be the first in what I hope will be a short series related to issues I”ve encountered in my SBS2008 migration of my internal server. I”d love to say “hey, everything worked as advertised” but we”re not quite that lucky. But to start off, I have a very common setup that will probably catch some folks off-guard, so here it is in the blogosphere for someone to find and figure out.

First, I have a large mailbox. Like 8GB. Yeah, it needs pruning, I know. My first hint of trouble was when I ran the move mailbox part of the SBS migration. The move mailbox process stopped because of the default quotas in Exchange 2007. Yes, 2GB is far better than the 200MB default in Exchange 2003, but that”s beside the point. So I went right in and removed the quotas on the mail store and fired up the move mailbox tool again. This time it completed without error.

Jump to this morning. I am going through the migration CHM file and get to the point about the users not showing up in the SBS console. I can either do the ADSIEDIT fix for that, or I can just run the Change User Role wizard (or whatever it”s called). Boom, all of my users show up in the console. Woo hoo!

A little bit later, Susan (yes,that Susan) pings me that my mail is getting rejected because my mailbox is full. D”oh! That”s right,the default Standard User role has the 2GB Exchange quota enabled by default. Dummy that I was, I didn”t change the user role before applying it (I actually ran across this during migration testing and made a note about changing the Standard User role to remove the Exchange quota, but forgot about it this morning while I”m trying to do a gajillion other things) and now my 8GB mailbox is dying over 2GB quota. No problem, I change the User Role, then I open my user object to make sure the setting is removed, and all is well.

Would that it were that simple.

An hour later, I still can”t get into OWA (well, I can get in, but it”s yelling at me that I”m over quota and won”t do anything until I fix it – if you haven”t seen the OWA UI for being over quota, try it – there”s nothing subtle about it). I quit and restart Outlook, it fires off the Mailbox Cleanup wizard (again, yes, I should do a cleanup, but that”s not the issue). I look at the my user object in the SBS Console, no quota. I look at the message store in the Exchange console, no quota. I ping David Shackelford and he has me run a couple of PS cmdlets, all show the quota is disabled. Dave suggests I restart the Transport service. No love.

Finally, Dave sends me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb684892.aspx and suggests I restart the Information Store service. Bingo, OWA and Outlook stop yelling at me, and mail starts flowing again.

I don”t know why Exchange couldn”t figure out in a two-hour window that I had adjusted the quota settings, but it didn”t. I had to forcibly restart the information store before it woudl check the quota again and allow me to get back to my precious e-mail.

So, lessons learned for today:

  1. Modify the quota settings on the mail store before migrating any user mailboxes over if you have users with mailboxes over 2GB.
  2. Modify the Standard User Role before you touch any user objects during your migration and remove the Exchange quota if you have users who are above the limit.
  3. If you should get a user who goes above the quota and you need to restore their access quickly, adjust the quota settings, then restart the Information Store service. No, you shouldn”t have to do that, but it fixes the issue.

 

One Response to “On Migration – Exchange and Quotas”

  1. Corey Says:

    I ran into the same issue with Exchange 2007 SP1 RU 7. I had a user that had the default quota of 250mb. They had to send a mass email to internal users which pushed them over the limit. I went into EMC and set their quotas to 1gb. Exchange powershell showed the correct quota but messages were still being rejected due to mailbox being over the limit. I restarted the Information Store Service and was able to send them messages.

Leave a Reply

*