Since I installed Outlook 2010 technical preview I have not been able to search emails using the ‘search mail’ boxes in Outlook (which links into Windows desktop search). I had not realised how much I used the feature until it did not work. When I tried a search I was shown a dialog saying there was 40000+ items waiting to be indexed, and this number was not changing. It seemed that the indexing of Outlook contents had stopped.
The solution I found was to reset the indexing process.
- In Outlook select the back stage (brown button)
- Select Outlook options
- Select Search
- Select Indexing Options button
- Use the modify button to remove all options from the locations to be indexed
- Use the advanced button to select a re-index (with nothing selected)
- Use modify button again to re-select all the item you want to index (including Outlook)
- Finally use the advanced button again to select the re-index option to restart the process
- I then had to wait 24 hours, but at least I could see the index items count going up at the top of the Indexing options dialog until I got the message Indexing complete..