Upgraded to BlogEngine.NET 2.8

I have just upgrade our Blog Server from BlogEngine.NET 2.7 to 2.8, all seems to have gone well, basically it is just file copies as there is no DB schema change, so…

  1. backup your blogs folder
  2. delete it’s contents
  3. copy in the the new release from the zip
  4. fix the SQL connection string
  5. copy around a few files as detailed in the release notes, basically any customisation you have done,

That that seems to be it, just a case now of swapping themes to get the new look, if you want it

Thanks for attending my webinar on lab management

Thanks to everyone who attended my webinar session today in TFS Lab Management, I hope the audio issues were not too much of a problem and you found the session useful. We are looking into the causes of the audio problem so hopefully the next webinar will not need people dialling in via the phone unless they want to.

A number of people asked for the slides, you can find a copy of them here.

As I mentioned in the session if you want a look at Lab Management you can have a go yourself using the HOL in Brian Keller’s TFS 2012 VM. Or watch the video I did at Techday 2010, an end to end demo of Lab Management.

I also mentioned a couple of Microsoft case studies that might be of interest

Our upgrade to TFS 2012.2 has worked OK

I have mentioned in past posts the issues we had doing our first quarterly update for TFS 2012. Well today we had scheduled our upgrade to 2012.2 and I am please to say it all seems to have worked.

Unlike the last upgrade, this time we were doing nothing complex such as moving DB tier SQL instances; so it was a straight upgrade of a dual tier TFS 2012.1 instance with the DB being stored on a SQL2012 Availability Group (in previous updates you had to remove the DBs from the availability group for the update, with update 2 this is no longer required).

So we ran the EXE, all the files were copied on OK. So when we got to the verify stage of the wizard we had expected no issues, but the tool reported problems with the servers HTTPS Url. A quick check showed the issue was the server had the TFS ODATA service bound to HTTP on port 433, but using a different IP address to that used by TFS itself. As soon as this web site was stopped the wizard passed verification and the upgrade proceeded without an errors.

So it would seem that the verification does a rather basic check to see if port 443 is used on any IP address on the server, not just the ones being used TFS as identified via either IP address or host header bindings.

The only other thing we have had to do is upgrade Tiago’s Team Foundation Task Board Enhancer, without the upgrade the previous version of this extension did not work.

So not too bad an experience.

Great event in Antwerp

I had a great time yesterday at the VISUG Conference in Antwerp, thanks to everyone involved in event.

image

The ALM track organiser Pieter and all the speakers, myself, Martin and Neno, were really pleased to see how full our room was all day. There certainly seems to be more interest in ALM than ever before.

If you want to find out more on areas of TFS I was talking on i.e connecting from environments other than Visual Studio, why not look at a very similar session I recorded last year, it can be found on Channel9.

Error TF400129: Verifying that the team project collection has space for new system fields when upgrading TFS to 2012.2

Whist testing an upgrade of TFS 2010 to TFS 2012.2 I was getting a number of verification errors in the TFS configuration upgrade wizard. They were all TF400129 based such as

TF400129: Verifying that the team project collection has space for new system fields

but also mention models and schema.

A quick search threw up this thread on the subject, but on checking the DB tables I could see my problem was all together more basic. The thread talked of TPCs in incorrect states. In my case I had been provided with an empty DB, so TFS could find not tables at all. So I suppose the error message was a bit too specific, should have been ‘DB is empty!!!!’ error. Once I got a valid file backup restored for the TPC in question all was ok.

A bit more digging showed that I could also see an error if I issued the command

tfsconfig remapdbs /sqlinstances:TFS1 /databaseName:TFS1;Tfs_Configuration

As this too reported it could not find a DB it was expecting.

So the tip is make sure you really have the Dbs restored you think you have.