I had been suffering with the 0x80188308 error when I tried to update my Nokia 820 to the WP81 Update 1 because I had the developer preview installed. I had been putting off what appeared to be the only solution of doing a reset as discussed in the forums as it seem a bit drastic, thought I would wait for Microsoft to sort out the process. I got bored waiting..
Turns out as long as you do the backup first it is fairly painless, took about an hour of uploads and downloads over WiFi
- Created a manual backup of the phone: Settings>backup>apps+settings>backup now.
- Reset the phone to factory settings (DP 8.1), leaving any SD card alone: Settings>about>reset your phone.
- When prompted logged in with the same ID as used for the backup
- Restored the phone using the backup just created.
- Reconnected to all of the other accounts and let the phone download all of the apps.
- Signed back into the Preview for Developers app – else you won’t see the updates!
- The updates comes down without a problem as one large package
Lets have a go with a UK aware version of Cortana….