Category Archives: 10826

Where did my custom Word templates go in 2013?

I installed Office 2013 customer preview yesterday and all seemed good. Today I needed to create a new document using one of our company standard templates. I opened Word, went to the new document section and was presented with a list of great looking templates, but not my custom ones. The page suggested I used search to find more templates, it did find more templates from the Internet, but did not find my locally stored ones.

Turns out the issue is that the path to my custom templates had been removed as part of the upgrade (from memory in previous versions of Word this path was always default to your local {USER}AppData\roaming\microsoft\template you did not usually need to set it).

So I opened the options, added the path to my existing templates folder


Restarted Word and tried to create a new document and this time a got a personal tab on the new document page


When I clicked this I got my list of templates, I really must get round to resaving them with previews so they look better in the list


_atomic_fetch_sub_4 error running VS2012RC after Office 2013 Customer Preview is installed

When I installed Office 2013 customer preview all seemed good, loads of new metro look Office features. However when I tried to load my previously working Visual Studio 2012RC I got the error

“The procedure entry point _atomic_fetch_sub_4 could not be located in the dynamic link library devenv.exe”.



This is a known issues with the C++ runtime and a patch was release last week, install this and all should be OK

Upgrading from Office 2010 RC to RTM

I got this commonly seen version error when I tried to upgrade my RC version of Office 2010 to RTM

Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):
Microsoft Office 2010 does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of Microsoft Office 2010. You must first install any prerelease versions of Microsoft Office 2010 products and associated technologies. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.

I had already removed by RC Office and Visio. Turns out the problem was I had the Outlook Hotmail Connector (Beta) installed too. Once this was removed the install worked fine.

Outlook 2010 email searching

Since I installed Outlook 2010 technical preview I have not been able to search emails using the ‘search mail’ boxes in Outlook (which links into Windows desktop search). I had not realised how much I used the feature until it did not work. When I tried a search I was shown a dialog saying there was 40000+ items waiting to be indexed, and this number was not changing. It seemed that the indexing of Outlook contents had stopped.

The solution I found was to reset the indexing process.

  1. In Outlook select the back stage (brown button)
  2. Select Outlook options
  3. Select Search
  4. Select Indexing Options button
  5. Use the modify button to remove all options from the locations to be indexed
  6. Use the advanced button to select a re-index (with nothing selected)
  7. Use modify button again to re-select all the item you want to index (including Outlook)
  8. Finally use the advanced button again to select the re-index option to restart the process
  9. I then had to wait 24 hours, but at least I could see the index items count going up at the top of the Indexing options dialog until I got the message Indexing complete..

Outlook 2010 crashing after in place upgrade

I downloaded and installed the Office 2010 technical preview today. All seemed to go OK (after I realised  I could only do an in place upgrade from 32bit Office 2007 –> 32bit Office 2010), once the upgrade was done I could load Word and using our VSTO based document templates all seemed to work fine. However when I tried Outlook I got a problem.

On the first loading it took a while, telling me it was doing something to  40K+ items, presumably checking the local OST file, but then seemed to load OK. However after about 30 seconds it crashed, and continued to do this every time I rebooted Outlook even when I was tried safe mode, add-ins switched off and/or offline working. It all had no effect. Checking the event log I saw I had the error:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.4006.1110, time stamp: 0x4a468538
Faulting module name: mlang.dll, version: 6.1.7100.0, time stamp: 0x49eea59f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00016aef
Faulting process id: 0x1060
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca06e3140fb30d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\mlang.dll
Report Id: 5af5a171-72d6-11de-97df-001636a51764

I noticed that the in place upgrade had not removed Office 2007, so I did this via the control panel. After this Outlook loaded and was stable other than the fact the view panel would not load (was grey’d out on the menu), so stable but useless

I then tried a removing Office 2010 (there is no repair option) and reinstalling again using the same 32bit media. This time it knew it was not doing an upgrade but a new install. Once this completed I loaded Outlook and it worked fine including picking up my existing OST file (from a non default location, I keep it on a bitlocker partition) and also still had my CRM 4.0 add-in configured and working.

So it seems the upgrade can get  bit confused