1. Run the Offline installer jre-6uxx-windows-i586-p.exe
2. Install it.
3. When the last page of the install appears, DO NOT click Finish yet.
4. Go go Application Data\Sun\Java and find a folder named jre1.6.0_11,
This contains two files: an MSI and a CAB. In order to run the MSI, you must have the CAB in the same folder.
1. Run the JRE Kernel installer.
2. This is the one that downloads everything (actually an MSI) over the internet.(jre-6xxx-windows-i586-p-iftw-k.exe)
3. The FIRST page of the installer appears.
4. Stop right now before installing and look in Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_11 and find a file: jre1.6.0_11-c-k.msi
This is a larger self contained MSI.
Any of the MSI or java EXE installers can be run almost silently (just a progress bar) by passing /qr on the command.
msiexec /qr jre1.6.0_11-c-k.msi