Recently, I setup VM in Hyper-Vof Windows Server 2008 R2 for classroom training use.
I created a base hard disk image and a lot of differencing disks for difference VMs.
However, I discover sometimes, when the differencing VM turn on, It will create another NIC to use and hide the previous NIC.
(Maybe it detect the new setup VM as difference hardware)
Thus, the NIC name will be changed to “xxxxxxxx #2”.
So, I decided to remove the hidden NIC so that the NIC will not be named to “xxxxxxxxx #2” or “xxxxxxxx #3″…etc.
The following is the steps required before moving the VM:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
- Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
- Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
- Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
- Expand the Network Adapters tree.
- Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.