ActiveSync to a new Exchange Server

This week we had a few hassles with our Exchange Server. I don't know the details, but I know that we moved to a new Exchange Server. From an Outlook perspective, this was fine. From a Windows Mobile perspective, it wasn't so great.

The new Exchange Server is in a different domain, so I had to use a different set of credentials to sync with it. I installed the root certificate, did all the right things to get it working, but got an error saying:

Synchronization failed due to a device software error. Contact your network administrator. 0x80004005

Not good. Did some googling, and saw some stuff about getting an End User Update, and other stuff about a hard reset. I tried searching through the registry for something that might've helped… no luck there either. Luckily, I store all my useful data on an SD card, and have a folder with all my app's install stuff. I did a backup to keep the rest of the data safe, and then did the nasty hard reset.

Ten minutes later, I had successfully synced with the server. Half an hour later, I was fully restored. I'm sure there will be the odd configuration setting I've forgotten to make on some application (like the font size in Egress), but on the whole, I'm very happy. Most of all, because I actually have very little fear of hard resets. I know that whenever I have some error that I just can't solve, I can always fall back to "let's try a hard reset" if I need to.

 

2 thoughts on “ActiveSync to a new Exchange Server”

  1. Obviously you dont own one of the ‘fantastic’ new rw6828 mobile messengers from HP, or you’d be intimately familiar with the ritual of daily soft reset and frequent hard reset – and the host of problems that culminate in this frustrating need to bounce the device …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>