Getting rid of GUIDs in SharePoint 2010 database names

It is like your typical battle of good vs. evil. SharePoint 2010 has a secret plot to run the world out of GUIDs and between you and me I think it has a good shot of accomplishing its goal. Well, me and boy wonder (aka Todd) have seen the pain and suffering they are trying to evoke and we have plan to stop it. Creating blog posts to remove as many of the GUIDs as possible.


“But dynamic duo who cares if the world runs out of GUIDs?” Well, to be honest the people it scares the most are the poor developers. And while we generally consider developers second class citizens that doesn’t mean we wish them harm. And let’s face it, if they didn’t have GUIDs they would have nothing to do. And we all know bored developers will wander the halls of your office building aimlessly. Or worse they will congregate in places like the break room and will want to make small talk with you when you go to get an afternoon Mt. Dew. I don’t know about you, but nothing ruins my day worse than idle chit-chat with a developer. Yucky.


So this post is your one stop shopping for everything about getting rid of the GUIDs: As Todd or I post new items for removing GUIDs we will update this post.


How to get rid of the Central Admin database GUID by Todd


How to get rid of the SharePoint 2010 Search service application database GUIDs by Shane


How to clear timer job error after renaming the Search Admin database by Shane 


Microsoft article on renaming databases (Be careful, it isn’t perfect yet)


How to rename the PerformancePoint Database by Shane 


Build your farm without getting GUIDs in the first place by Todd


As always remember to test any of these steps on a nonproduction server before attempting on your real servers.


Save the GUID!


Shane


SharePoint Consulting


PS – I don’t hate developers. Really, it just seems that way.

SharePoint 2010 database attach upgrade with managed paths

This week I found a new to me issue with doing a database attach upgrade from 2007 to 2010. It seems if your 2007 content database has additional wildcard managed paths (anything other than /sites) that when you upgrade that database to SharePoint 2010 that you will end up with a bunch of explicit managed paths in SharePoint 2010. Kind of break downs like this:

2007 Wildcard managed paths:

  • /sites
  • /departments
  • /projects

2007 site collections in the content database:

  • /
  • /sites/teamsite
  • /departments/hr
  • /departments/accounting
  • /projects/CowMachine
  • /projects/CowNinja

When you create a new 2010 web application and attach the content database you will get the following managed paths:

  • /sites – wildcard
  • /departments/hr – explicit
  • /departments/accounting – explicit
  • /projects/CowMachine – explicit
  • /projects/CowNinja – explicit

And of course all of your site collections will be available.

As you can quickly tell this is way less than ideal. For one when you try to create a new site collection for the Cow Black Ops project you will not be able to create it at /projects/BlackOpsCows because there is no longer a managed path for /projects. Boo! So how do you fix it? About time you asked.

Create managed paths before attaching 2007 content databases

The fix here is quite simple. Know your managed paths you need before you do your upgrade. Then right after you create the 2010 web application and before you do the mount-spcontentdatabase you need to go into Central Admin > Web Application management, click your web application and then from the ribbon select managed paths. Now create your wildcard manage paths. In this example you create /departments and /projects. Now return to your regularly scheduled program and do your 2007 content database upgrade.

If you already find yourself with this issue the fix is as simple as you are assuming. Go into central admin > manage content databases and remove your upgraded databases. Once they are detached go delete all of the explicit managed paths for your database. Then create the wild card paths you want. Now reattach your content database. All better. J

Hope this helps

Shane

SharePoint Consulting

BCS and SharePoint Workspaces limited to 2000 items from external list

My client and I fought these issues for about a month all said and done so I figured I would post some of the things we learned along the way to save you a month of your life. J


The BCS is limited to 2000 items


True story. Out of the box business connectivity services throttles your connection to 2000 items. Yikes. Makes sense to keep performance in check but for most of my customers this has been an immediate issue. Luckily Microsoft anticipated this and gave us some Windows PowerShell to increase the limit or even turn it off. Luckily the BCS team wrote a post on how to manipulate this and saved me the effort. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bcs/archive/2010/02/16/bcs-powershell-introduction-and-throttle-management.aspx Thanks guys.


Workspaces only likes 2000 items also


So we got through that and then we started syncing the list with SharePoint Workspaces and were quickly greeted with:


 


Too many items were returned. The limit 2000 was enforced.


What the heck? We got rid of the 2000 item limit. We did some more playing around and also found out that Outlook also could not sync the list. UGH. After opening a support ticket with Microsoft and working with Patrick G. we found the answer. There is a special registry edit you can make to allow the client BCS framework to overcome the 2000 item limit. The key is:


[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Business Data\Synchronization]


Then you need to create a dword for “Query Instances Limit”. Then set the value you would like. This registry change is on the client machine trying to do the sync.


Pretty cool stuff. Hopefully this saves you some time.


Shane


SharePoint Consulting