Missing your Microsoft Document Imaging in Office 2010?

If you have been using Microsoft’s Office Document Imaging and are wondering where it went in Office 2010, you’re not alone. Microsoft has dropped it as of Office 2010, but there is a workaround to install it in Office 2010 by using the Office 2007 version of it. KB with the information is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760. If you’re still wondering what we’re talking about after checking out the Wikipedia article, here’s a description of MODI from Microsoft’s site.

For those who don’t want to click there, here are the directions from KB982760 to run the 2007 version of MODI (as of the date of this Blog post):

How to use MODI in 2007 Office together with Office 2010

To use MODI in 2007 together with Office 2010, use one of the following methods:

• If you do not have 2007 Office system installed on a computer that has Office 2010 installed, you can install only MODI from the 2007 Office system setup. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Start the 2007 Office setup process.
    2. Click Customize.
    3. On the Installation Options tab, select Not Available for all items except for the items under Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and then click Install Now.
    4. Click Close.
  • If you perform a standard upgrade to Office 2010 from 2007 Office, MODI will be removed together with 2007 Office. Therefore, to keep MODI you have to keep the 2007 Office installation. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Start the Office 2010 setup process.
    2. Click to select the I accept the terms of this agreement check box, and then click Continue.
    3. Click Customize.
    4. On the Upgrade tab, click the Keep all previous versions option, and then click Install Now.
    5. Click Close.

14 Responses to Missing your Microsoft Document Imaging in Office 2010?

• steveb says:

Haven’t tried it with Office XP, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work to use that viewer instead. Worth a try.

• Jermaine says:

Okay…if you have a new computer, which NEVER had ANY previous versions of Office, how on earth do you “Start the Office 2007 setup process?” Can’t be done–at least not that I have found. If it can, please advise.

• steveb says:

Jermaine, even though it is a new computer, do you have an older copy of Office you can use to install it with first? No other way I’m aware of.

• pedram says:

just want to add it on, you can use oneNote in MSOffice 2010 to copy the text from any format of image.
    copy and paste image to MS oneNote 2010 and right click on image > copy text from image or
    right click > edit alt text from right click context menu.

• Document Scanning Company says:

you have done a good job by posting this article  here. really helpgull for the document scanning process .thanks for this.

• sach says:

In my case Office 2010 is already installed in the system. When I Check in OfficeTools section under ‘Add or Remove Feature’ , I dont see Microsoft Office Document Imaging, option there.

Can you please tell me  how can I add this feature in installed system.

Thanking in anticipation.

• Liam OB says:

You can get MODI by downloading Microsoft Sharepoint Designer 2007, which is a free download from the Microsoft Download Center.

As in the above Office 2007 steps, choose “Not Available” for all items except MODI.

There is a Microsoft KB article giving more details:

support.microsoft.com/…/982760

• jay says:

Fantastic, its easy..

Thanks buddy

• edr says:

i thought Microsoft Document Imaging was an archaic dinosaur for large files until I upgraded to windows 7-64. Windows live photo gallery is miles behind the MODI MS dropped for clariity and resolution especially zoomed

• korz says:

I followed the instructions in that KB article (982760) and I still don’t have Microsoft Office Document Imaging available in my printer list.  That’s how I created .tiff files from my Word files in Office 2003 and 2007.  In other words, KB982760 is incorrect.  I’m running Office 2010 on 64-bit Windows 7.

• murad says:

dc

• murad says:

• Steven says:

Lucky that I have my old Office 2007 disks. Best advice, if you have Office 2007 disks.

• Lenny says:

I’ve loaded MODI & MODS from Office 2003 running Office 2010 under Windows 7. The Scan or Imaging dialog box does not see my Epson Workforce 610 printer/scanner. I’ve made sure the print/scan drivers are current and installed. Any suggestions to get the program to see the scanner?