Official response for Zune 30 Freezing Issue (Zune 30gb stuck at reboot screen)
Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If youâre a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.
Customers can continue to stay informed via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support).
We know this has been a big inconvenience to our customers and we are sorry for that, and want to thank them for their patience.
Q: Why is this issue isolated to the Zune 30 device?
It is a bug in a driver for a part that is only used in the Zune 30 device.
Q: What fixes or patches are you putting in place to resolve this situation?
This situation should remedy itself over the next 24 hours as the time flips to January 1st.
Q: Whatâs the timeline on a fix?
The issue Zune 30GB customers are experiencing today will self resolve as time changes to January 1.
Q: Why did this occur at precisely 12:01 a.m. on December 31, 2008?
There is a bug in the internal clock driver causing the 30GB device to improperly handle the last day of a leap year.
Q: What is Zune doing to fix this issue?
The issue should resolve itself.
Q: Are you sure that this wonât happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?
This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.
Q: How many 30GB Zune devices are affected?
All 30GB devices are potentially affected.
Q: Will you update the firmware before the next leap year (2012)?
Zune Product Team
One of the problems I have working on many different computers and constantly rebuilding even my main workstation for whatever beta build of Windows happens to be available, is having a “stable” environment for some of the little things that make my life work better. One of the ways we do that in the office is to run Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition. We used the SBS second Server license to virtualize the main SBS server and also a virtual Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition running the Terminal Server Role. As we said nearly a year ago, TS RemoteApps is seriously cool. In fact, the more we use it, the more we love it. TS RemoteApps is the single biggest new feature in Windows Server 2008 (and thus SBS 2008.) In my opinion, it’s even cooler than Hyper-V, and that’s saying a lot.
But all that is really just background. I use TS RemoteApps to run many of my main productivity applications, including Outlook 2007, Word 2003 and Windows Mail. I even run OneNote 2007 over TS RemoteApps from some computers, though I usually load and run it locally on my main workstation. But I also use TS RemoteApps for more important applications – namely, running iTunes and connecting to my iPod Nano! That way, I don’t run into activation issues when I’m continually rebuilding machines – both iTunes and my Audible account run off the Terminal Server, making life much easier.
Ah, that’s nice, but how do you connect to your iPod? After all, Hyper-V doesn’t support USB devices. You’re right – Hyper-V, like every other Microsoft virtualization product, doesn’t support USB. And that’s a real nuisance! But then, along comes FabulaTech with their USB over Network product. As we described earlier, FabulaTech has a real winner here. We have been using it for several months, now, and couldn’t live without it. Not only does it handle our SBS backup drives, which we’d expect, but it works great with our iPod as well. So now we have a nearly perfect solution – our iPod connects to iTunes running as a TS RemoteApp, in a Hyper-V child partition, available transparently to any machine on my network.
The rumor that Microsoft was set to lay off people on January 15th, 2009 is no longer a rumor but a fact. Staff at Microsoft have been informed that the company is readying major layoffs to its worldwide operations and it's not a small cut, either.
Currently Microsoft employs about 90,000 people across the world and from what we're hearing, some 15,000 of those are expected to be giving marching orders come January 15th. That's almost 17 percent of Microsoft's total work force, not exactly a small number.
So far, we haven't managed to confirm what departments or regions will be hit the worst, but we're hearing that MSN might be carrying the brunt of the layoffs. We're also hearing rumors about the possibility of somewhat larger staff cuts at Microsoft EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa).
It's unlikely that Microsoft will be laying off a lot of people in departments and regions that are doing well, and considering the recent upturn in console sales, we have a feeling that at least most of the people working in the Xbox 360 departments will be pretty safe.
The layoffs will take place a week before Microsoft's Q2 earnings report, which takes place on the 22nd of January 2009, and it doesn't seem like the date set for the layoffs is coincidental. We'll bring you more on this subject as it unfolds.
Published with BlogMailr
What fitting way to end 2008 than a list of my own version of technology-related highlights of 2008.
- Dellâs Acquisition of Equallogic â Ok. So technically this happened in November of 2007. But the acquisition wasnât completed until early this year. After review of the devices, they are definitely a cost-effective NAS solution. What a great way to introduce storage solutions to small businesses.
- ASP.NET MVC â Again, this technically happened in 2007, but my first experiences really happened this year. What a great, clean way to build web applications.
- Flip MinoHD â When Pure Digital introduced the Flip Ultra, they introduced new competition to the digital media market. Now their pocket-sized camcorder sold over 1 million units during this year. Then, they introduced the device with a 1280×720 resolution.
- Silverlight 2.0 â One of the highlights of the year is the performance of Michael Phelps at the 2008 Summer Olympics. Millions around the world watched. In the US, NBC covered the Olympics on both TV and the web. Their web content was delivered using a custom beta (yes, I did say beta) version of Silverlight 2.0. A true success for the dev team at Microsoft.
- Android â Rumored for a couple of years, Google released their competitor to the iPhone called Android. Nope, itâs not a phone. Rather, itâs Googleâs own mobile operating system. Several manufactures have signed on to build phones to support Android and it is assumed that this will only increase over the next year or two.
- Apple iPhone 3G and iPhone App Store â Apple continually releases âcoolâ technology. This year theyâve released a new version of their iPhone with enterprise technology built-in including Exchange 2007 ActiveSync support. They also made strong improvements in their iPhone App Store. Look for them to continue the coolness into 2009.
- Netflix Streaming â Move over Blu-ray. Netflix is taking control of the movie market. Adding to their Roku support, Netflix now offers streaming over several devices including the XBox 360, Tivo HD DVR, and a Blu-ray player from Samsung and one from LG.
- The âNetbookâ â With Cloud computing becoming increasingly popular, end users needed a device to access web applications from all over. One of the downsides of traditional laptops have been their size and weight. The ânetbookâ is the answer. Many companies have made top selling devices including Acer (Acer Aspire One) and Dell (Dell Inspiron Mini).
- Social Computing Takes Off â Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace continue to grow. LinkedIn added applications. Sites like FriendFeed and TripIt take off. This will more than likely continue through next year and beyond.
- Nintendo Wii Fit, etc. â Nintendo is smart. Very smart. Finally someone out there realized that there happens to be a large crowd of mothers that arenât gamers. So what does Nintendo do? They introduce Wii Fit. They also released Personal Trainer: Cooking to help capture that market.
Preview of 2009
Here are a few things to watch for as they progress in 2009:
- Eye.Fi â Need to download photos from your camera and are too lazy to sit behind your PC? Would you like an âendlessâ SD card? Try this. Itâs a wireless memory card.
- Plastic Logic â This is neat. An 8 1/2â x 11â tablet that will compete against the Amazon Kindle. Itâs lighter. Itâs bigger. Theyâre also rumored to be building a flexible digital screen.
- Internet Car Radio â Last.FM. Pandora. Just 2 of the Internet radio sites/applications available. Itâs only a matter of time before they come to automobiles. We may be looking at the end of Sirius/XM.
My Personal Technology Interests of 2008
Here are a few of the items that I purchased this past year.
- Light-O-Rama â I recently picked up a Light-O-Rama light controller to help me with my Christmas light display. Canât wait to add onto it for next year.
- Keurig Platinum B70 (review) â What a great way to get a single cup of coffee. Especially when everyone in your household enjoys different flavors. The Keurig system also allows for teas, iced beverages, and even the ability to use your own coffee using the My K-Cup filter.
- Flip MinoHD â see above
To all, have a safe, and happy new year and weâll see you in 2009!
Para quem está se preparando para o exame EX0-102 este é um ótimo recurso para se preparar, utilizei o tempo em que estudei para esta prova e coloquei tudo em uma planilha, os principais pontos que puder ver nos documentos oficiais, de forma ordenada. A planilha está disponível em inglês e português:
> MOF Foundation 4.0 Spreadsheet (em inglês)
> MOF Foundation 4.0 Spreadsheet (em português)
Vale lembrar também que preparei 21 artigos que explicam cada um dos componentes do MOF 4.0, estão todos em português, revisados e disponíveis para download neste LINK.
Se ainda restar alguma dúvida sobre o exame é só me enviar e-mails pessoal.
Feliz Ano Novo para vocês.
Wir setzen bei uns als Forefront Client Security fÃ¼r alle Desktops und einige Server ein. Und das schon seit eineinhalb Jahren. Ja, und ich bin sogar sehr zufrieden damit.
Die Clients werden wie vorgesehen per GPO und WSUS installiert. Heute hatte ich jedoch zum ersten Mal eine Windows Vista-Workstation, die einfach nicht den Client installieren wollte. GPRESULT /R zeigt an, dass die entsprechende Computerrichtlinie fÃ¼r FCS angewendet wird, aber Windows Update zieht einfach nicht den Client und die dazugehÃ¶renden Aktualisierungen. Da ich irgendwann nach Hause wollte, kam eine langwierige Fehlersuche nicht in Frage. Also, was tun?
Man kann den Client auch einfach manuell installieren, was dieser TechNet-Artikel gut beschreibt:
Da die GPO mit den FCS-Einstellungen ja angewendet wird, hatte der Client unmittelbar nach der Installation die richtigen Einstellungen und taucht auch im FCS-Reporting auf.
En Octubre del 2008, Microsoft liberÃ³ un update que soluciona una vulnerabilidad en el servicio de Server.
Esta semana hemos recibido varios llamados por nuevos virus (malware) de importante impacto, que explotan esta vulnerabilidad. Al momento de su detecciÃ³n, estos nuevos virus no estaban incluÃdos en las Ãºltimas firmas de antivirus comerciales.
- Sorpresa!! Microsoft lanza el fix para vulnerabilidad en WMF Varios dÃas antes de lo pactado Microsoft, bajo presiÃ³n de…
- Windows 2000 Rollup 1 V2, post Service Pack 4 El 13 de Septiembre, Microsoft publicÃ³ la versiÃ³n 2 del…
- Nuevos artículos en la KB de Exchange – OCS – Outlook Exchange Exchange Svr Ent 2003 EN: The "To" field is…
A tous ceux qui nâont pas encore installÃ© le patch MS08-067, il est grand temps de le faireâ¦
W32.Downadup.B is a worm that spreads by exploiting the Microsoft Windows Server Service RPC Handling Remote Code Execution Vulnerability (BID 31874). It also attempts to spread to network shares protected by weak passwords and blocks access to security-related Web sites.
Lire la description complÃ¨te : W32.Downadup.B – Symantec.com
Update : On parle certainement de la mÃªme bestiole ICI.
Update from comments (thanks to Carlo Pagani) :
Quick way to kill if you are infected.
1. dir *.* /ahs in System32 folder
2. If you see a .DLL file (not always .dll) then you are probably infected.
3. Using process explorer, search for the name you see, then close the handle of the file. If you do not find it in process explorer then it is not active yet but proceed to 4 anyway.
4. Take ownership of the file
5. Delete file
6. Check WINDOWSTASK for any job file that does not belong there
7. Look for Autorun.inf file in root. If there, take ownership and delete
9. Enable BITS and Auto update services as the worm disables these.
10. Update windows.
Available through ADI, the Niveus Media Server – Vail Edition provides a no-nonsense, high-performance entertainment experience.
Milpitas, CA – December 30, 2008 – Niveus Media has teamed up with ADI to distribute the Niveus Media Server to custom electronics installers across the country. Now available at ADI branch locations, the Niveus Media Server – Vail Edition is an energy-efficient entertainment server designed to store, aggregate, and distribute HD content throughout the home.
With support for movies, music, photos, and much more in its slender frame, Vail is packed with advanced technologies to deliver stunning in-home audio and video reproduction. A CES Innovations 2008 Design and Engineering Awards recipient, Vail is based on Windows Vista® Home Premium featuring Windows® Media Center. It is equipped with an optional Blu-ray Disc™ drive, 250GB of storage, and proprietary Niveus technologies including the new Niveus Movie Library movie management interface!
Through Vail, digital photography and video collections are securely stored and accessed throughout the home; CD collections are merged with downloaded audio tracks to create a uniform and all-encompassing music library; and Blu-ray Disc™, DVD, and digital movies from leading content providers such as VideoGiants, are aggregated in the Niveus Movie Library, an attractive and intuitive movie management interface.
As Niveus’ first energy-efficient media server, Vail Edition offers remarkably low power consumption at less than 180W. Niveus engineers were able to integrate the industry’s finest components into Niveus’ most compact media server, at just over 2 inches in height and 17lbs in weight.
Suitable for rack mount installation or living room placement, Vail is engineered with a silent active cooling design for cool and quiet (less than 30db noise) performance. For seamless integration into the home network, Vail is built with the proprietary Niveus ConvergencePanel™ high-performance audio and video ports.
All Vail Editions sold through ADI are bundled with an exclusive HDGiants content package, including 1 HDNet film and credit towards the purchase of MusicGiants downloads. Dealers will have the opportunity to earn recurring revenue on all the content that a customer purchases.
“The ability to store, control and stream High Definition content has become extremely important, and the Niveus Media Server – Vail Edition provides an excellent solution to do so,” said RJ Hirshkind, Senior Product Manager for A/V for ADI. “This technology will help dealers build advanced home theaters that can manage HD video, music, photos and more.”
For more information, please visit www.niveusmedia.com.
Looks like the Midwest isn't the only thing that's freezing up this holiday season: many people are reporting their 30GB Zunes are spontaneously going on the fritz as well.
The symptom is reported widely on discussion boards about Microsoft's music player, including Zune.net, ZuneUser.com, and ZuneScene. With the problem, people's Zunes reboot but freeze when the startup status bar reaches 100 percent.
Some users reported the problem happened at exactly midnight PST, at the very beginning of the last day of the year, leading some wags to call the problem Z2K after the Y2K problem that was widely feared to cripple the computing industry when computer clocks moved from 1999 to 2000.
Microsoft didn't immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday morning.
ein gutes neues Jahr, happy new year, Ø¹Ø§Ù
Ø³Ø¹ÙØ¯,shnorhavor nor tari,
chestita nova godina, xin nian kuai le, pace e salute, feliz año nuevo,
kali chronia, ×©× × ××××, nav varsh ki subhkamna,
felice anno nuovo, buon anno, felix sit annus novus,
gelukkig Nieuwjaar, Ð¡ ÐÐ¾Ð²ÑÐ¼ ÐÐ¾Ð´Ð¾Ð¼, gott nytt år, yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun
[SMS 2003] Inaccurate software metering reports may be generated from Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 3-based primary site servers
Bien se que en los Ãºltimos meses he descuidado enormemente este blog y pido disculpa a todos mis lectores.
Razones: MUCHAS…full de trabajo y muchiiisimo viajes (como bien dirÃa mi muy gran amigo Fernando GarcÃa Loera…”Acumulando millas“).
Tambien se que prontamente tengo que retomar el blog pero la realiad es que no he encontrado momento para subir los 8.9 gb de fotos de la gira Springboard Series: Dia de AdopciÃ³n de Windows Vista, luego seleccionar las mejores fotos y redactar las reseÃ±as corresponientes a todas las ciudades y eventos.
Por el momento les comento hoy me he llevado una muy grata noticia al encontrar una breve reseÃ±a en el Windows Client TechCenter y simplemente queria compartirla con ustedes
En realidad fueron 13 ciudades, no 17……serÃ¡ que las otras 4 estÃ¡n por venir?
No se por cuanto tiempo estÃ© en el sitio, es por eso que he capturado este screenshot; lo que sÃ se es que en las pocas horas que lleva publicado, mi inbox ha estado repleto de cantidades de mails de todas partes del mundo con preguntas tÃ©cnicas!
Cross-posting desde http://geeks.ms/blogs/eliasmereb/
January 11th – Eagle Aviation, Columbia Metro Airport (KCAE)
January 24th – Greenwood County Airport (KGRD)
Arrival: 7:30 – 9:00 AM
Breakfast: Between 9:00 & 9:30 – 11:00 AM
Departure: 11:30 AM
En février prochain se dérouleront les prochains Techdays. Ici, pour vous inscrire :
- avec un Live ID http://clk.atdmt.com/FRM/go/128409303/direct/01/?href=http://www.microsoft.com/france/mstechdays/inscription/inscription-nouvelle.aspx
- sans http://clk.atdmt.com/FRM/go/128409303/direct/01/?href=http://galilee.microsoft.fr/TechDays2009/Inscription-profil.aspx
Quoi de neuf avec Aude Breteau, Chef de Projet de ces TechDays http://blogs.technet.com/mstechdays/archive/2008/12/29/quoi-de-neuf-sur-les-microsoft-techdays-2009.aspx
et là pour récupérer vignettes et fonds d’écran http://blogs.technet.com/mstechdays/archive/2008/11/30/les-goodies-officiels-des-microsoft-techdays-2009.aspx
Bon réveillon à tout le monde [<:o)] [<:o)] [<:o)]   [B] avec modération [;)]
Published with BlogMailr
I just noticed that the contact form was not working correctly since I upgraded to new version of the blog software. Anyone trying to get in touch with me through the contact form – please retry now, Iâll get back to you as soon as possible.