Triangulation

Today I did some more work on the ModelConverterX tool again. There were some complex polygons that were not converted into triangles correctly, so I had to improve the triangulation algorithm. I did make such an algorithm a while ago for another tool, but that one was for 2D polygons only. So I had to convert it into 3D to work correctly with 3D objects.

This turned out to be a lot of fun in the end. With some nice vector and matrix manipulations  it seems you don’t even need that much code to triangulate a polygon. And it was a good reason to refresh some of my math skills again.

So that is another problem less, there are still some problems left with the normals and the sides of the polygons being drawn. Once these are solved I hope to release a new alpha version, as there have been quite some improvements by now. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *