How do I Install SUS on a Server that is also running other IIS Enabled Applications like SharePoint?
In this article, I will explain how to install SUS in separate site and keep Share Point (SPS) or any other IIS Applications in the default website. The main purpose of separating SUS installation from the existing installation in the default website is to avoid the conflicting permissions as SUS requires the ANONYMOUS ACCESS on the website installed.
The best practice would be to install SUS on a separate website if you already have some IIS application sitting on Default Website.
Review these steps;
1. Before installation, open IIS Snap in.
2. Stop all websites.
3. Now run the SUS installer package.
4. Since no sites are running, SUS will create a new site for it.
5. Assign the site to run under another IP, and restart the rest of your sites.
6. Make sure you put a DNS entry pointing to the site.
7. Then set clients to update from this IP ADDRESS.
Exceptions on Directories & Files:
Mohammed Athif Khaleel
MVP – SUS / WSUS
Windows Server Update Services Wiki
“Save the Internet. Keep all Systems Patched“
[This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.]