You see the following error on WSUSAdmin Page;
Check your server configuration
One or more Update Service components could not be contacted. Check your server status and ensure that the Windows Server Update Service is running.
Non-running services: SelfUpdate
And, the following event is logged;
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Server Update Services
Event Category: Update Services Service
Event ID: 506
The SelfUpdate Tree is not working. Clients may not be able to update to the latest WUA client software and communicate with the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Server.
· The SelfUpdate tree MUST be installed into port 80 regardless of whether you are running WSUS on port 80 / 8530.
· The SelfUpdate tree does not work if you have the website bound to a specific IP address in your IIS configuration.
Procedure to enable SelfUpdate tree;
1. Open IIS Manager from Administrative Tools
2. In the website running on port 80, create a virtual directory called ‘Selfupdate’.
3. Point the physical path to ‘C:\Program Files\Update Services\Selfupdate’.
4. Make sure you allow anonymous users to connect to it under the ‘Directory Security’ tab – Enable Anonymous Access.
5. Change the security of the ‘Selfupdate’ virtual directory (right click, properties) and tick the ‘Directory Browsing’ check box.
The workaround is either to set your IIS Configuration to respond to “All unassigned” addresses or add 127.0.0.1 to the list of IP addresses used for Selfupdate.