For some reason, I couldn’t figure out why that the NeedDataSource event wasn’t firing correctly.  I spent hours trying to figure out the solution, and this forum post really helped me to solve the issue: http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/reporting/telerik-reporting/needdatasource-event-not-firing-when-updating-the-reportviewer.aspx.  When using stored procedures, Telerik stores datasets in the component designer within the report, as well as their table adapters generated by a strongly typed dataset.  The issue I was having was related to a few things: assigning the data table to the report’s data source property in the needdatasource event (I was doing something similar, but wasn’t in the end passing the table to the datasource property).  Additionally, assigning the DataSource property to null in the constructor helped too; I’m not sure why, but it seemed that the report wanted the data source in the constructor, or else it didn’t work correctly.

Note: I didn’t bind the sqldataadapter to the report, like the example illustrated.