At the server:
1. Apply 831464
831464 FIX: IIS 6.0 Gzip Compression Corruption Causes Access Violations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831464  [this hotfix now in Exchange 2003 SP1]
2. Clear the IIS server files follow these steps:
    a. Go to your %windows%\IIS Temporary Compressed Files directory
    b. Select all of the content in this directory and delete it.
3. Go to a command prompt, type “iisreset”.

At the client:
1. Go to Tools -> Internet Options
2. Select Delete Files and click OK to confirm that you want to delete the
content.

For testing purposes…
Disable Exchange Forms Based Authentication:
1. Open Exchange System Manager
2. Expand Server, , Protocols, HTTP
3. Right-click Exchange Virtual Server, Properties. Settings tab.
4. Uncheck Enable Forms Based Authentication. Click OK.
5. Go to a command prompt, type “iisreset”

Now rerun the CEICW to reset the authentication.

If you are running Trend and did not load it on a separate site

For more information, see Solution 18148 in the Trend Micro Knowledge Base
at the following URL:

As a workaround, you can remove the OfficeScan MIME Types value from the
Default Web Site and from the Exchange virtual directories. Use the following steps
to remove this MIME Types value:

1. Open Internet Information Service (IIS) Manager.
2. Expand the server and then expand the Web Sites folder.
3. Right-click the Default Web Site, and then click Properties.
4. Select the HTTP Headers tab.
5. Click MIME Types.
6. Select the ” .*    application/octect-stream” entry and click Remove.
7. Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK two times.
8. In the Inheritance Overrides dialog box, select Exadmin, Exchange,
exchange-oma, OMA, and Public (hold down the Ctrl key while clicking to select multiple),
and then click OK.
9. Right-click Default Web Site, and then click Stop.
10. Right-click Default Web Site, and then click Start.
11. Run the “iisreset” command.

After you remove and reinstall OfficeScan or remove the OfficeScan, delete
the Internet Explorer temporary Internet files on the client computer before
using OWA again. If clearing the temporary Internet files does not resolve the
problem on the affected client computers, completely remove Internet cache files, and
enable the Internet Explorer option to check for newer versions of stored pages on
every visit. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Open Internet Properties in Control Panel.
3. Click the General tab.
4. Click Delete cookies, and then click OK when prompted to confirm.
5. Click Delete Files, click the check box to “Delete all offline content”
when prompted, and then click OK.
6. Click Settings, and then click “Every visit to the page” under “Check
for newer versions of stored pages.”
7. Click OK two times.

8 Responses to Having issues with externally accessing OWA?

1. Billv says:

Susan,

When attempting to delete the IIS temp files a message prompts that they are system files and deleting will cause system instalbility. (or similar)

Patch 831464 is applied. Should I just accept and delete all of the files. They are mostly jscript and html files.

Thanks,

Bill V

2. DaveF says:

>"[this hotfix now in Exchange 2003 SP1]"

I don’t think so. You have to download it. For some reason I can’t access the exe from microsoft.com right now.

3. Susan says:

Sorry ..meant that it’s a "requirement" and thus you’ll get it whether your like it or not when installing Exchange 2003 SP1

4. eschaton says:

Ok, So I’m getting the same error and followed your instructions and it still is not fully rendering OWA in IE. This happens on every IE browser i test on externally. OWA works perfectly internally.

Oh, and BTW it works perfectly without all the fancy OWA tricks in Mozilla Firefox. Go figure~

My certs are published fine, as is ISA rules. Am I missing a firewall filter somethere?

Any thoughts?

5. seb says:

Hello, i have the same problem. have yound found something ?

sebastiena(a)darest(dot)ch

6. ravencrow says:

I also have the same problem. i have two servers, the 1st is running on windows 2003 sbs edition with exchange 2003 sbs. this server dont have any problem. while my 2nd server is running on windows 2003 enterprise edition with exchange 2003 enterprise edition. i dont have problem accesing the owa within my network, while i have problem accessing my owa externally. if i use mozilla firefox as my internet browser, i dont have any problem. i can say that my IE is not the cause of the problem, due to that i can access my sbs server using the said IE. my firewall is also not the cause of the problem due to that i can access my owa using firefox. i gues is the enterprise edition issue. can anyone out there help me with my problem :’o(.

7. Paul says:

Has anyone found a solution to this? I just upgraded my 2003 standard edition to enterprise today, all looked well, tested Webmail from inside was all good. Get home and users are having issues from the net. This is only with IE, Firefox is fine. HELP!!!!!!!!

8. It appears to not only effect Exchange but plain old Outlook 2003 also, not to mention the web.

I seem to have been locked out by the 893066 patch on a Win3k server. Problem is I do not see an uninstall. Anyone know how to remove these that are not listed in the Add/Remove?