When trying to access OMA – are you getting the following error “Item no longer exists.
The item you are attempting to access may have been deleted or moved.”
immediately after logging in. The event log shows an error from MSExchange
OMA Category 1000 Event ID 0.

The resolution:

The problem originated when a second email address was added –
user@mydomain.com The real cause of the problem was an incorrect path
on the exchange-oma virtual directory – it was set to
\\.\backofficestorage\mydomain.local\mbx instead of
\\.\backofficestorage\mydomain.com\mbx . Changing this restored full
functionality.

This is found in the IIS Manager, click on your server name, then on web sites, then on default web site and look for the “exchange-oma“

19 Responses to Accessing OMA and getting “item no longer exists” error message?

1. dc says:

i tried your fix and still get the same error. can’t figure it out!?!?#$@#$

2. Centurion says:

Did you find the way to correct this?

3. swede says:

This worked for me:

1) Go to Start/Server Management

2) Expand out Advanced Management/Internet Information

Services/servername/Web Sites/Default Web Site and then right click on the

/exchange-oma virtual directory and select Properties.

3) Make sure that the local path has the domain name that matches your

Primary SMTP address from the Default Recipient Policy.. (or you could copy

paste it from the local path setting of the /exchange virtual directory)

4) If you do change the /exchange-oma virtual directory, then go to a

command prompt and run iisreset (keep in mind that this will temporarily

stop/start your web sites (like companyweb) and parts Exchange)

5) Then restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service from

Start/Administrative Tools/Services

4. Alex says:

Thanks, the longer method worked for me. I did not have to restarted exchange, just iis

5. Cino says:

Yes you have just to restart iis.

Very thanks to swede

6. 尖锐湿疣 says:

Pretty cool! Thank you!

7. Chris says:

Works for me also many thanks

8. I LOVE the Internet, Google, and this site! Saved me hours of troubleshooting….

9. john wileman says:

great it worked like a bomb

10. me says:

many thanks… this problem was driving me crazy!!

11. Mark says:

Worked a treat!!

12. Steve says:

I have the same issue, but I am on a Win 2000 server running Exchange 2003 with SP1. I do not have the exchange-OMA virtual directory, only the OMA virtual directory. Any suggestions? Do I need to create the exchange-OMA virtual directory somehow?

Thanks

Steve

13. Stuart says:

I have the same issue as Bradley, any fix for this?

14. Sypmathetic soul says:

OK That post was useless, but I found it on the first page of google. So theres alot of people out there with the same problem.

So heres what I found that fixed this problem on 1 server of mine and 4 others servers with 4 other problems. Gold!

15. Susan says:

Posting to a blog looking for suggestions isn’t the way to get tech answers.. nor is making OMA not ssl’d.

16. Bud says:

Saved me a ton of looking around, No.1 result in Google & straight to the solution! Thanks Susan!

17. Carlos says:

Bradley, thank you very much for your help, your solution worked great, some users accounts were working fine but others not, I tried you solution and now all of them work perfectly, thank you

18. Roberto B. says:

On SBS 2003 i have the error “item no longer exists…”.
    I have localpath like “C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Browse” on OMA virtual dir, but: on another environment (my network) in FE-BE configuration OMA work correctly with mentioned local path.

19. stephen says: