I had something unusual happen on my server.  I would receive error messages in my log files indicating that my DHCP server was shutting down and when I would go in and look at the DHCP scope, it would suddenly rename my domain name “mshome.net”.  I’ve put screen shots up on my website to show you want it looked like:  http://www.sbslinks.com/mshome.htm   A couple of other people in the newsgroups were having the same issues. 

Looks like we’ve tracked it down to the RRAS NAT/Firewall’s internal DHCP firing up and interfering with the Windows/SBS DHCP.  What I think occurred is that because I DID NOT run the “Configure remote access wizard”.  Combine that with throwing a lot of beta’s on this box and rebooting on a daily basis because I don’t treat this test system like a “real” server and it runs more like a workstation and the RRAS’s NAT firewall’s “Address assignment” got checked and because it’s a DHCP allocator as well, the SBS box naturally shuts off it’s own DHCP.

To fix this, and with the expert guidance of Wes from SBS PSS support out of Charlotte, I disabled the RRAS firewall, stopped the DHCP services, renamed the DHCP folder underneath the windows/system32 folder, restarted the DHCP services, went to the DHCP snap in and using the DHCP wizard rebuilt the scope.  Then I reran the Internet connection wizard, ensuring that I chose to “enable the firewall” to allow the RRAS NAT firewall to be “rewizardized”.  I then this time ran the “Configure remote access wizard” to ensure that both wizards affecting the RRAS Nat firewall would be run. 

RRAS is now not setting up a DHCP server and the SBS server is being the DHCP.

Big thanks to Wes for his expert assistance.  Moral of this story?  Always ask for SBS support when you call PSS.  🙂

 

5 Responses to Is your server’s DHCP being renamed to “mshome.net” and getting Event ID: 30013 in your log files?

  1. Russianblue says:

    I had this same issue on a Server2k3 Enterprise Edition multi-homed do-all play box. To fix, I actually just unchecked the Address Assignment box and restarted the RRAS server. If I’m not mistaken I can toggle the problem on and off simply by checking/unchecking and restarting the RRAS server. Unbelievable. I thought for days it had something to do with my Microsoft Wireless Device having mistakenly registered itself in DNS or something.

    Also, you might be interested to know that there is a fundamental issue on multihomed DC’s which continuously registers the outside NIC in DNS even when advanced TCPIP settings are config’d not to. I rec’d an unsupported hotfix for this, but it IS Server 2k3 related moreso than SBS2k3.

  2. Susan says:

    SBS2k3 is Windows Server 2003. Whatever hotfix you have received, is for us too. Do you remember the KB number?

  3. Mark0 says:

    I have the same problem, BUT its on a windows 2000 machine workstation, any ideas

    Event Type: Error

    Event Source: ipnathlp

    Event Category: None

    Event ID: 30013

    Date: 9/11/2004

    Time: 6:50:14 AM

    User: N/A

    Computer: GGA1

    Description:

    The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address 192.168.1.102, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Please email me back on

    mark@computerland.com.au

  4. Don Camillo says:

    I have had the same problem but connected to exchange. I couldn’t open several exchange folders. The solution above was not working. So I fiddled around with Hosts.ics in system32/etc. After renaming server.mshome.net to server.domain.local in the file everything was running fine. Nevertheless the latest exchange patches have solved the problem. SBS is running smooth with server.mshome.net in Hosts.ics.

  5. Nathalie V. Hernandez says:

    I would like to thank you, thank you! I had this problem with RRAS interfering with DHCP server in an sbs 2003 box. For two days my clients were having slower than normal access to the server. Upon inspection, I realized that the DHCP was somehow corrupted. When I accessed the DHCP server, the service was running, but it was leasing out weird IP address. Then, I realized that the authorized DHCP server was defaulting to company.mshome.net. Even worse I couldn’t even reconfigure the scope because it kept telling me that the scope old scope existed though it didn’t display the scope nor its associated leased addresses. It was just like bizarro world. Well, as long as the clients were able to access the network, I had a one to two day time to fix the problem. As soon as I disabled the RRAS and restarted DHCP, chose reconcile, my DHCP server was back to normal. I then went ahead and ran the wizard for RRAS and your solution was immediate relief. Thank you!