windows xp sp2 rc2:

Some interesting regedits in there…and more tweaks than I realized….

The various aspects of pop-up manager are controlled by values in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\New Windows.  The registry values are all dword values, unless noted.  Values are all either 0 or 1, unless noted.

PopupMgr – Whether the pop-up blocker feature is enabled or not.  This is the checkbox on the privacy tab of the Internet Control Panel.
PlaySound – Whether or not a sound should be played when a pop-up is blocked.  This sound is set in the Sound Control Panel.
ApplyToWebOC – Applications hosting the webbrowser control only get pop-up blocking if they opt in.  This forces pop-up blocking on non-opted-in apps when true.
UseSecBand – Whether or not pop-up blocker notifications should appear in the Information Band.
AccUserInitOnClick – Turns off or on an app compat work-around for some Accessibility Aids.  This is on by default.
Balloon – Set when the balloon notification has been shown.  Not a very interesting value, listed here for completeness.
BlockHTMLDialogs – Whether or not to treat HTML dialogs as pop-ups.
UserInitTimeout – Number of ms in the timeout period when the UseTimerMethod value is set (see below).

9 Responses to More info on the popup blocker in XP sp2

1. Charlie Anthe says:

You do realize all of these options are available through the UI, too, right? No need to hack the registry for everything. 🙂

2. Sanx says:

In reference to the tweaks:

PopupMgr is a REG_SZ with the values "yes" and "no".

3. Jason says:

This is helpful information for NetAdmins who want to turn off the beep on all domain controlled machines. So far I don’t see gpo options that will make this change for me so I’ll have to distribute reg updates.

4. Jay says:

well, the popup blocker stays if you uninstall sp2. the only way to disable it in ie is this way.

5. 尖锐湿疣 says:

Pretty cool! Thank you!

6. Joshua says:

There isn’t any sound when a popup is blocked? I’ve turned the option on in IE, and went into Control Panel, Sound & Audio Devices, and Sounds tab, but there is no program event to set a popup sound for?

7. William says:

I’m looking for a way to disable the popup blocker on ALL of my domain controlled PCs since the therapists that use them are dumbfounded when it comes to popup blockin. I just want to disable popup blocker for ALL users that log into any PC on the domain sever this way they can get the authorizations they need. https://careconnectionmd.apshealthcare.com/ this site uses popups and they need to be able to see them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

8. William says:

Nevermind. I got it.

Add this to your registry if you need to have popup blocker turned off by default for anyone who uses a computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Create a new Key named "New Windows" Create a new String named "PopupMgr" and set the value to no.

I did some playing around with other entries (thank god for a backed up copy of the registry before I did any modifcations to it *whew*) then when I got this one working, I felt I was on top of the world…atleast the IT world :-p

-William

9. Rob says:

What if the PopupMgr is set to "no" and the pop-ups still happen? It’s getting really annoying and have no way of going around it.