LimitLogin tool

On March 14, 2005, in Tools, by

Hmmm…haven’t tried it but I wonder if we can use this to build a report of logons and logoffs?

Hmmm… may have to play around with this

We are happy to announce the availability of LimitLogin v1.0, an
application that adds the ability to limit concurrent interactive user
logons in an Active Directory domain. It can also keep track of all
logins information in Active Directory domains (without necessarily
enforcing logons quotas).

The challenge of limiting concurrent logons in a distributed
environment is huge, and although LimitLogin is not a “bullet proof”
solution to all the aspects of this challenge, many customers might
still find this tool helpful, as this capability has been highly
requested by different customers (banks, ISPs, libraries etc) in
numerous RFPs etc.

LimitLogin capabilities include:
– Limiting the number of logins per user from any machine in the
domain, including Terminal Server sessions.
– Displaying the logins information of any user in the domain
according to a specific criterion (e.g. all the logged-on sessions to
a specific client machine or Domain Controller, or all the machines a
certain user is currently logged on to).
– Easy management and configuration by integrating to the Active
Directory MMC snap-ins.
– Ability to delete and log off user session remotely straight from
the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in.
– Generating Login information reports in CSV (Excel) and XML formats.
Please keep in mind that this tool is Not Supported (similar to a
resource kit or support tool).

The public download location is there

8 Responses to LimitLogin tool

1. Amy Babinchak - Harbor Computer Services says:

Please post how it works. Looks intriguing. There are two things have always been missing (if you came from a Novell background) limit login and salvage files. It’s amazing to me that it’s taken this long to get these tools.

2. Robert WEBER says:

To my opinion, the only good side of LimitLogin is that it is free…

But it is far too cumbersome to install and administer to meet the requirements of a serious organization when it comes to properly manage user sessions.

As far as I am concerned, I use a 3rd-party tool named UserLock (http://www.userlock.com) and even if it costs around 2 or 3$ par workstation it is really worth it!

3. Burak YANIKOGLU says:

Hi,

I‘m trying to install limitlogin on one of my servers. I prepared this server regarding all of the prerequisites written in chm of limitlogin.

1)First of all, I prepared a new W2k3 wSP1 server with all updates.

2)Then I configured this server as a dc in a new forest.

3)Then, I configured it as an IIS Server. (with ASP.NET)

4)There is no problem with IIS installation of LimitloginIISSetup.

5)After installing LimitloginIISSetup, I restarted the server.

6)Then I double-clicked on LimitloginADSetup.

7)I selected to install limitlogin for everyone who logs on to this computer

8)Then checked the three boxes (Prepare AD Forest, Domain for limitlogon).

9)There is no problem with extending Schema.

10) Then, i create a new folder in c:\ for login and logoff script and share it to all authenticated users in domain.

11)Then, write it into Script Share Folder (\\Servername\share)

12) Write the name of the IIS server (same server) and click next.

Then I get an error message:

“The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized”

I did not change any permission on IIS settings. J

What can be the problem?

Thanks for your help…

Burak YANIKOGLU

E-Mail: burak.yanikoglu@itu.edu.tr

4. AC says:

I’ve gotten LimitLogin installed on the server and the clients. However, at both login and logoff I receive the following error message twice.

"Windows Script Host: SOAP object creation failed. Have you run the LimitLogin client setup? Here are the details: ActiveX component can’t create object."

Any suggestions on what’s making it fail?

5. Leilani says:

You need to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 on the client.

6. buy.narod.ru buy.narod.ru buy.narod.ru diazepam diazepam diazepam diazepam link site [URL=http://plasmatics.com/random/etc/buy.narod.ru-buy.narod.ru-buy.narod.ru-diazepam-diazepam-diazepam-diazepam.html-link-site.html]buy.narod.ru buy.narod.ru buy.narod.ru diazepam diazepam diazepam diazepam link site[/URL] http://plasmatics.com/random/etc/buy.narod.ru-buy.narod.ru-buy.narod.ru-diazepam-diazepam-diazepam-diazepam.html-link-site.html

7. Paul Loonen says:

A question I have: what happens if the user’s workstation crashes (i.e. the user doesn’t log out and her counter doesn’t get decremented).

Does the tool check if the user is trying to re-login to the same workstation and actually lets her in instead of locking out the user?