The normal stuff of SBS

On April 3, 2005, in Best Practices, by

When someone comes into SBSland there’s stuff that you just don’t know until you’ve seen a few boxes, or hung around newsgroups.

When an SBS box first boots up there are certain events that are just ‘normal” and the MAD thing is one of them:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=3784). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:

In reviewing the info on the Event ID site for 2102 this is a totally expected error in our SBS boxes.

Event 8026 and 8250 are also NORMAL to SBS and expected.

That Store memory referred to in this blog is totally normal and in looking at that servers ‘committed’ memory… oh man..that is a normal, healthy SBS server in my view.  That has plenty of memory.  That Store issue is a result of not applying the post Exchange sp1 patch from the download site.  Remember that Store ‘by design’ takes memory that it needs and then puts it back in.  I’ve personally only had an issue with SBS Monitoring that I had to ‘throttle’

Next I leave netbios over TCP/IP enabled.  That laptop sounds more like it has a DNS resolution issue.  All computers in the network should be pointing to the server for their DNS resolution and all ‘DNS’ entries on the internal NICs should be pointing to the internal nic of that server.

If the ‘red cross’ you are talking about is the mapping of the drives, I’ve found that to be caused by the autodisconnect setting on the server and I’ve always shut that off.  I think it’s totally unnecessary.

Robert?  One thing I’d recommend is that you join a SBS community because we could have saved you a ton of googling and investigating.

Course… you wouldn’t have then quite had so nice of a blog posting for me to find….but hey  πŸ™‚

8 Responses to The normal stuff of SBS

1. David Schrag says:

Wouldn’t it make sense for MS to issue some sort of SBS patch so that these "expected errors" didn’t get logged, or got logged as information instead or warning/event, or got filtered out of the server performance reports, etc?

2. Susan says:

I don’t beleive they can…but it might be nice for a document, me thinks?

3. Robert says:

But then, Microsoft did exactly that! πŸ™‚ As you can read further down my post, the hotfix for the store.exe issue simply turns the alert off, nothing more it seems.

The problem that I faced with this particular installation was not so much any of the curious event log entries, but the fact that this customer has to be left to tend to his box on his own. They are not technical, but do insist on ‘overseeing’ some of the admin duties, and that includes recieving the logs.

Because I was not familier with SBS, I couln’t really explain the store.exe problem when they came to me with it, so I was obliged to spend time looking into it. Now that I know the MAD error is also normal, I can tell them that, but the first question out of their mouths is gonna be "well if its normal, then why is it listed as a criticle error??" πŸ˜‰

Perhaps in this case, a policy of ignorence is bliss may be more effective!

4. Robert says:

Oh by the way, what is your take on the NT backup failing? Nothing than the intro and outro is written to the backup-log, no idication at all of what went wrong. Ever seen this before?

5. Susan says:

Because of the way SBS is designed. There are certain items that due to the technical nature of putting things together on the box have to be lived with.

6. Susan says:

Are you using a Iomega Rev Drive? I wasn’t sure what you were using as the backup device?

7. Robert says:

Yah the final backup is being handled by the Iomega rev, but its a seperate routine.

The NT backup itself is writing to a file. This file is then later picked up by the Iomega backup.

Have a look at the copy-paste of the backup log. Its in Dutch, but I think you get the general idea of what it is saying. No errors in the eventlog acompany this, exept the general error just telling you that the backup failed. But no indication at all as why.

Oh thanx for all your help by the way! πŸ™‚

8. Susan says:

We’ve had inconsistencies in those REV drives. You wouldn’t consider talking those folks into using a USB hard drive would you?

You ran the ntbackup wizard and all that?

You’ve gotten the backup fixes from the download page?

[BTW you can also post to the newsgroups or in the forum on http://www.smallbizserver.net rather than via the blog you know πŸ™‚