Controlling more

On August 16, 2005, in news, Tools, by

It’s all about control isn’t it?  Patching.  Monitoring.  And whether your flavor is Level Platform or MOM…. if you aren’t looking into tools to control and do… maybe you need to look into it?

Some recent postings about MOM, made me realize that in my circle of SBS buddies .. I don’t know many folks running MOM.. Level Platforms, yes, but not MOM.  Any SBSers out there that are MOM’ers?

I think we’re all a bit chicken to be installing it when were not sure it’s SBSized enough.  The last thing we want to do is muck up a clients computer playing around…. so …are you using any tools to monitor your networks?

7 Responses to Controlling more

1. Nick says:

At the last certified partner event that I attended (some 6 months ago), there was a presentation on using MOM Workgroup edition for managing SBS-sized customers. At the time I think MOM was still in beta testing – certainly the feel I got from the presentation was that this type of management could be hacked together to make it work, but that it wasn’t by any means "mainstream".

2. Chris says:

I’m definately a MOM’er. I use MOM to monitor all of my client’s SBS servers. I install the agent on my client servers and it communicates back to my server through the firewalls after some minor configuration. A lot of SBS’ers are staying away from MOM when it could be a revenue generator. I charge my clients for the enhanced monitoring. My MOM setup is intergrated with my CRM application which autogenerate tickets, etc. SBS’ers need to stop sleeping on all the great software in the ActionPak.

3. Don says:

We used to use MOM 2005 for most of our SBS sites, however, MOM isn’t the best application for monitoring cross domains / cross firewalls. While most functionality is there, some of the scripting breaks and calls to PSS claim the configuration in some instances is "Unsupported"

Since then we’re in the process of moving to Level Platforms. The learning curve for LP is not as bad as MOM was. We like to be able to tell our customers "we’ll monitor your entire network" rather than just "we’ll monitor your SBS server". It’s an easier sell for us

4. Dag Staale Jenssen says:

As a part of MS accelerated solutions (small IT solution), MS has included a chapter regarding “connecting solution providers”. A solution is outlined using MOM. I was therfor surprised to find that MOM 2005 Workgroup edition reported incorrect erros when we tried the solution on our 6 server sbs installation, and that a deep dive was necessary to reconfigure test to get an error free mom environment. We therefore uninstalled the software and reverted back to Big Brother.

5. Dag Staale Jenssen says:

6. Frank Hughes says:

We offer cross-domain and cross-firewall monitoring of multiple sites using Kaseya’s Enterprise IT Management software. Less than $10/mo per server with no setup fees or volume commitment. Free 30-Day Trial with 5-node subscription.

7. Frank Hughes says:

Now with full network management and monitoring including custom SNMP configurations!