The "run" command

On October 28, 2007, in news, by

Doing some stuff with Win2k8 RC0 and it just hit me today that Server 2008 has a “run” command in the start bar that Vista doesn’t have.

Guess they figure admins can handle “run” whereas users can’t?

8 Responses to The "run" command

1. Bob Muir says:

Even on Vista brings up the Run prompt whether it’s on the menu or not. :thumbsup:

2. Wictor says:

Heya,
    I got the Run command in Vista (Ultimate), don’t know if it was there from the start (but I think it was), but you can change it from the Customize Start Menu.
    /WW

3. It’s a defaults thing – you can turn it on in Vista if you want.

IIRC, Run isn’t there by default in XP, either.

4. Rob Nicholls says:

Run isn’t on the Start Menu by default in Vista, but it’s easy to add it if you customize the Start Menu (Taskbar and Start Menu Properties > Start Menu > Customize… > Run command). I always use the method suggested by Bob (or Alt+Home if using Remote Desktop in a window), but you should be able to type into “Start Search” and hit return to launch it (the cursor’s already in the right place if you hit the Windows key), and I gather some people use a Sidebar gadget instead.

5. Rob Nicholls says:

6. Joe Moore says:

Well it’s not there because you don’t really need it. The “search” command doubles as the run command in Vista. Don’t believe me? Give it a try…

7. Nimal says:

The Run command is always visible in Windows Vista start menu, only it’s called ‘Start search’ 🙂

8. Wayne Vinkavich says:

Hold down the magic windows key press the [r] key, faster and works on every version except linux 😉