I just don’t get Twitter

On March 25, 2008, in Rants, by

7:00 p.m.  in a snarky mood tonight, may blog something snarky

7:12 p.m.  need to blow my nose

7:25 p.m.  Blew nose

Okay, I just have to state that I don’t get twitter.  Consider this my snarky post for the evening.  Are people so bored that they need to know what I’m doing RIGHT NOW?  I am turning into a Web 2.0 fuddy duddy.  Twitter to me screams “get a life”.  Friendfeed is right behind it.  Okay I can see the relationship building in facebook, but I don’t really think that my life is SO exciting that I have to twitter it to people out on the web.  Would Jane Austin find the need to twit if Twitter was around in her day?  Would Shakespeare?

When you get right down to it these conversations in this “new” Web 2.0 are really no different that UseNet conversations that have gone on for years, it’s just a different venue.  Granted now we can search and find out how demented some of us are, instead of stumbling on a who’s who of weirdos in wikipedia, but are we so instant brain dump right now that we have to report it first, be the first, say it first.  Remember the rule of security incidents.  The first information can and may be wrong.

But I really don’t think it’s important in the grand scheme of life that YOU know what I’M doing right now this very minute.  Nor do I think I need to know what YOU are doing right now.  Sometimes it’s a case of “TMI” or too much information.

So call me fuddy duddy.  ‘Cause I just don’t get Twitter.

7:34 p.m. Finished snarky blog post about Twitter.

7:35 p.m. Now hitting Publish.

—–

Update:

7:36pm pinged Wayne to tell him about my blog post

8 Responses to I just don’t get Twitter

1. Robert says:

And how the heck does Twitter make money? Is it just a “scam” to get popular and then got bought by Google or Yahoo or Microsoft?

2. bill says:

so it took you 13 minutes betwwen realizing you need to blow your nose and actually blowing it ??

3. Andy Parkes says:

I’m with you…

I just don’t get it either.

The only thing i can think of would be at a conference or something similar

You could update on what your doing so people who want to connect with you know what your up to

I was at the UK launch event last week and there were so many different things to do i missed the chance to catch up with some people

But i really i don’t want to let the world know i’m going to the toilet

4. Vlad Mazek says:

I was just thinking last night… Man, Susan needs to be on Twitter, this is so up her alley. Minute by minute updates and connectivity to the masses.

-Vlad

5. Martin P. says:

Great post Susan. On the mark and amusing.

6. davidinark says:

I agree with you. I looked at Twitter, shook my head, and still don’t understand what the heck anyone wants to use it for…

7. Tim Barrett says:

Come to the Dark Side Susan. We have cookies! 🙂

-Tim

8. Tim Barrett says:

BTW – Scoble said (on Twitter) that Inc. magazine has a lengthy feature article on Twitter next month. But if you were on Twitter, you’d already know that. Hee hee!

-Tim