… because you find out the dumb things you forgot… like….

The fact that the Live Communication server still had it’s nic card pointed to .x rather than .y for it’s DNS resolution even though .y is the new server.  So when I turned off .x it had issues with DNS.  Changed the nic properties to point to the new server and all was well.

I wasn’t as smart as I thought I had been and I found a couple of XP 32bit’s still pointing to \\oldserver\printername rather than new server.  Bookmark this post, you’ll probably need it:  http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/02/13/how-to-add-32-bit-print-drivers-to-sbs-2008.aspx  and read up on that http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(WS.10).aspx

Then I wanted to test the ability of our UPS’s to hold up the new server …and weeelllllll… hmmm… long story short it didn’t quite go as I planned but the good news is I did a dry run of the test to ensure I could log in via RDP to the HyperV parent if the SBS 2008 that handles the authanvil authentication is down.  Thank you, Dana, the bypass so that the non domain joined parent can bypass the AuthAnvil should the DC be down worked beautifully.

So don’t forget, when doing a major migration, turn the old SBS 2003 box off for a day.  See who finds something that doesn’t work.

 

Comments are closed.