So the question today came up how to do VPN to a SBS 2008

Server name = IP address of your server

Account = your user name

Password is your password

RSA off

Send all traffic on

To connect, click on

Now use an RDP app as you need

6 Responses to VPN to your SBS 2008 (or SBS 2003) with an iPad

1. Alan Baker says:

Isnt sending ALL traffic over the VPN a little strange? do you really need your web browsing traffic to be coming through your office?

2. Dana Epp says:

Yep. That’s exactly how I get into the office with my iPad. Of course, we use AuthAnvil, so the password we enter into the iPad is an AuthAnvil passcode instead of a Windows credential… but it works awesome!

3. Dean says:

Alan,

When you set up a VPN you are multihoming. A second software based NIC gets created. Since you can only have one default gateway at a time the software NIC gets the default gateway set on it because if it didn’t all non local traffic would still go out of the regular NIC. That means that any traffic that is not local will now be sent to the default gateway that is set on the software NIC which will be the VPN box at the other end. So all of your web traffic will now have to go through the Internet connection on the other side of the VPN. This is why you should disconnect your VPN as soon as you are done with it so that you can use the USUALLY much faster Internet connection of your home for browsing. Plus the software based NIC will never be as fast as a real NIC. It also keeps unneeded traffic off of your office network.

4. Joe Raby says:

This will give you more than just server access, of course. Once connected to the VPN, you can remote into any workstation inside the network, as I mentioned in the previous iPad post.

The reason I prefer to use RDP port forwarding for the server in my network is just to give me more outside connectivity options in the event of a failure of one remote connection service (ie. In case the VPN cacks out). It’s just a redundancy that I have as a precaution. Also, direct RDP seems to be quite a bit faster than RDP over VPN, but YMMV.

5. Dean says:

Joe,

How do you secure your RDP port forwarding ?

6. Patrick Stork says:

I have tried this setup on my iPad and set it up to connect to sbs2003 and save password.

But… When I try to connect to the VPN I am asked for my username and password. I enter these and am asked again. When entered for a second time the message connection failed appears.

I have VPN access using the same username and password through my XP laptop so should have the correct permissions on my sbs profile.

Any ideas…?