Do I or don’t I?

On August 26, 2011, in news, by

[GUIDE] Install ClockworkMod, a ROM, Flash Player, and the Market Fix – xda-developers:
So I’m debating about hacking one of my two viewsonic tablets … but I’ll admit this feels very much going down the jailbreaking route or hacking up something.

Not to mention… I’m really not a developer.  So.. do I want to hack up a gtablet or not?

6 Responses to Do I or don’t I?

1. mjwelte says:

Go for it. It is not that hard. If you have any command line experience, (which you have plenty) then it is not difficult to do. I have rooted a Nook Color and a Droid 2 and I am happy with both. The development community moves light years faster than the OEM’s and are much faster to fix bugs and add features. If you don’t mind voiding the warranty then rooting is worth it.

2. Richard says:

How’s Life?

Do you ‘need’ to hack it? 🙂 I jailbroke my iPad just so I could use the program to put the ip address and ssid in the title bar for reference.

Looking forward to putting android on the HP touchpad

3. Mike Campbell says:

Have put Cyanogen Mod7 on two Viewsonic gTablets. Much faster than the stock firmware. But – and this is a big deal – I’m finding that all of a sudden applications that I used to run are listed as incompatible with my device in the Market. I guess it’s not really a big deal unless one of the applications is something you use all the time.

But I agree with mjwelte, that these alternative ROM developers are always pushing the “what’s next” envelope. And it’s easy if you can follow directions. Email me – mike [at] thedotcomfactory [dot] com – and I can dig up the articles I followed.

Hey Richard – How’s Life?

4. Joe Raby says:

I’m not sure how much I would trust hacks, that by their nature, exploit security flaws in the underlying system to get executable code onto the device.

How often do you hack your own Windows Servers up to get some kind of applet loaded into it?

How often do third-parties try this on your behalf? 8|

5. Simon Thomson says:

When considering how much you trust “hacked” ROMs also consider that the founding developer of one of the primary custom ROMs, Cyanogen, has just been hired by Samsung to develop for their Android offerings. To me that speaks for their intent and skill.

Otherwise it’s a question of need. Has your device provider loaded it with unremoveable junkware? Are you restricted from using an app you need?

One huge plus for ClockworkMod is Nandroid backup which gives you full image level backups of your device. Along with the usual performance and usability benefits provided by the better custom ROMs.

6. Joe Raby says:

Me and Samsung don’t have a good relationship anyway.

Their hard drives suck. Hard. There’s a reason they sell for $10-15 less than everybody else. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Samsung hard drive last beyond 2 years without major ECC problems or bad sectors (SpinRite’s proof is telling), and MDG Canada, Canada’s biggest independent computer company (they also suck, but for other reasons that I don’t have space here to get into), ended a long exclusive relationship with Samsung where they were including their hard drives and optical drives in every system design. This was done a few years ago.

Also, from the number of people that bought Samsung LCD TV’s that failed less than 3 years after being bought, no, I don’t trust Samsung’s reputation any more than the average hacker. Maybe they should hire some of the hackers to actually improve security on these devices, instead of trying to implement features that they should have in the first place. To me, that says volumes about their priorities too.