The roadblock.

On August 10, 2012, in HyperVServer, by

So I’ve hit a roadblock.

It’s confirmed.

Deploying Windows 8 Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) – Server Manager – Site Home – TechNet Blogs:

Want to support a Windows HyperV 2012 server – have to have Windows 8.

Want to support it (RSAT tools) with a Windows 7 machine?  Good luck.

So I’ll be firing up a Windows 8 for grins and then rolling back to a HyperV 2008 r2 server.  Hang tight, sorry for the delay in the proof of concept.

9 Responses to The roadblock.

1. KeithC says:

Go with the hyperV 2012 GUI install.
    I think it’s the better solution for Small Business.

Wayne Small always installed with a GUI in the 2008 era. Don’t know if if it is still his preferred option.
    April 2010 – Hyper-V

2. Joe Raby says:

RSAT says it only works on the Release Preview. Will it be updated on time for it to work on the RTM (ie. next Wednesday)?

3. bradley says:

According to the blog post, not updated until September.

4. Joe Raby says:

I guess it makes sense – they’re only matching up the Release Preview/Candidate release windows together. RTM software releases all have to match up, and that means September for Server 2012.

5. Neil says:

I noticed that there is a software company out there who has made a product that is more extensive than the powershell management library link that I provided to you before.

I have never used these guys but they claim their new product works on Hyper-V 2012 Server beta and since this is a crash/burn test case you might check them out.

If they work, are safe/secure, and provide that nice of a graphical interface for Hyper-V 2012 server — WOW.

I hope this helps!
    -N

6. Joe Raby says:

I’d pass on that for one reason, and one reason alone. I’ll give you a hint: it’s the #1 qualm for Sue on Patch Tuesday…

I also don’t know how they can claim that it doesn’t impact the attack surface of Hyper-V Server since the required component in question requires security patches on Windows. Susan will be all too overjoyed to introduce that little troll on her shoulder too. 😉

Does CoreConfigurator work in Hyper-V Server?

7. Sepp says:

Hi Susan,

explore 59Manager … it works …

8. Neil says:

@Joe

Yes, that is very true.

On the other hand, I have been hard pressed to find a backup solution that runs from the Hyper-V host that does not require adding in the .NET 3.51 framework. Unless you go with guest based backup.

So far all the solutions I have found that involve having a single product to backup all the hyper-v guests in a single physical server environment require .NET on the host or much higher end hardware than the typical small business would have

I am not saying its perfect. I would prefer the not having .NET but using a text based interface such as 2008 based Power shell hyper-v management library (from codeplex) cmdlet “show-hypermenu” for those who don’t want to do a deep dive on powershell.

With 2012 I just use powershell to manage Hyper-V but that sounds like it wont work. (oddly although the 2008 remote management does not seem to work, I have sometimes been able to get the vmconnect.exe to connect to the new guest to do the OOBE setup of guest OS’s. Of course most of the time I just use a different 2012/Win8 system, but the old vmconnect seemed to sometimes work. (That was back in March when I last tried it so your mileage may vary)

-N

9. Neil says:

UNTESTED
    An untested quick and dirty workaround to the 2012 Hyper-V server issue would be to
    Install 2012 Standard edition
    Setup Hyper-v
    Setup a hyper-v guest OS drive
    Setup guest Win8 management system
    Configure guest with Static IP, get it working for remote management, make sure you can RDP from your normal desktop to management guest, etc.
    Shutdown guest
    Export Guest
    Reinstall as Hyper-V Server 2012
    Turn on powershell
    Import Management guest OS
    Start Management guest
    Now from Win7 station, RDP to management station

Lots of blogs already on powershell 3 and hyper-v 2012 but I liked this one for import – its a bit old for server 2012 but should give you a good run through…

-N