There they go again

On November 6, 2012, in Virtualization, by

Gag me with a first server marketing plan.  There they go again…

Microsoft | Windows Server 2012 Essentials | Windows Small Business Server Next Version:

Stressing that “first server” marketing plan again.

Show me a small business that doesn’t have a server and I’ll show you a micro sized firm that probably would be better suited with a Windows 2012 foundation server.  Show me a firm that would really thrive with the benefits of Essentials, and I’ll show you a firm that shouldn’t be buying Essentials but should buy Windows 2012 standard instead.

Say what? You ask?

Bear with me, I’ll explain.  When you buy Windows 2012 standard you get the ability to install one copy as a HyperV parent.  You then get the right to downgrade each of the child instances or keep them as 2012 versions – it’s up to you.  So if I wanted the parent as 2012 server and then I made one of the children a 2012 essentials virtualized, and a 2008r2 member server for say remote desktop.. or an on premises exchange or a 2012 member server or whatever you want that second instance to be you can.

This downgrade right gives you the ability to have a nicely/securely build virtualized solution.  And while you are at it, don’t buy via OEM, but via Volume licensing.  Why?  Because for sure I know you immediately get all of the downgrade right keys, I’m not 100% sure you’ll get it if you buy a OEM server.  Oh, I know that it’s legal to get these downgrade rights, I just don’t know the logistical way to get these licenses.

Don’t get software assurance.  I say this as a person who has Windows 2012 standard/Exchange 2013 as part of my “make good” rights from SA with SBS 2011 but I still say I’m one OS short and Microsoft should throw in an Essentials license.  Not to mention if you are on SA you might want to review that you have a key still in your VLSC for SBS 2011 standard/Essentials (it’s now a joint key) and for the Exchange server up there.  I had to call the other week and get a situation fixed as they said I wasn’t a SBS 2011 customer.  Needless to say my SA patience has snapped and I no longer feel it of value in the SMB space.  I’m sure many of you are questioning my sanity for ever thinking it was in the first place.

But bottom line instead of ‘first server’ think VIRTUALIZED server.  As while it can’t be a hyperv PARENT, for sure it can be virutalized and in fact if you buy Windows 2012 standard you get a 1+2 rights included.

6 Responses to There they go again

1. Mark Watson says:

The only reason we’ve ever advocated software assurance was to enable the cold disaster recovery testing, this enables us to test a full restore once a quarter for all of our “Unlimited IT Support” clients.

2. Ben Krause says:

One of the gripes I have is that it only allows up to 25 users when SBS in the past would accomodate up to 75 users.

Do you think that you can use one of your Server 2012 licenses to downgrade to essentials for one hyper-V, then use the other license to upgrade essentials past the 25 users limit?

Also, do you think exchange 2013 or 2010 can install on the essentials hyper-V? If all of this is so, then there’s another way to get an SBS like experience as before.

3. bradley says:

Yes. you can use a Server 2012 license to transmorg.
    Exchange 2010/2013 cannot be installed on Essentials, it CAN be on a member server.

Other than you still need SharePoint – yes you can build your own SBS.

4. Mark Hamilton says:

Question: If you buy Server 2012 standard VLK, and use your downgrade rights to install essentials. You have less then 25 users so you don’t transmorg the box. Do you need to buy server cals?

We have a client with legacy software running on server 2003. They have Server 2003 cals. I want to buy Server 2012 standard through VLK. Physical to virtual the existing server (it can’t be upgraded to work with 2012) and install a Server 2012 essentials server to become a new DC and provide all network services other then that one legacy app. They have fewer then 25 users. Do we need to buy new 2012 cals? I can’t get anyone from Microsoft that has a clue to answer that question.

5. Richard says:

I am confused. Sorry

Are you saying if I buy Server 2012, I can install it on a Server and use it as a Hyper V Server.

Then use 2 Hyper V instances on that server with the rights, 1 As Windows Essentials, and second as a 2008 R2 Terminal Server, or SQL server. Or some other role.

Or is it Install it in Hyper V Server or VMWare Server, and I get three servers for price of 1.

Richard

6. admin says:

I’ll do a seperate blog post.
    YES you get Server 2012 and then have the rights for TWO virtual instances. You get automatic downgrade rights to Essentials so you can install it in one virtual machine.

You don’t need vmware or hyperv, you just install the 2012 and add the hyperV role.