Finding a video card for RemoteFX

On January 14, 2013, in news, by

I’m now in search of a video card that is certified to run on Windows 2012 and provide RemoteFX ability.

So far I’ve found listings for Server 2008 R2 but not Server 2012.

I did determine that my server processor supports SLAT which is required

Hyper-V: List of SLAT-Capable CPUs for Hosts – TechNet Articles – United States (English) – TechNet Wiki:
“It is called “Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI)”, and has been called Extended Page Tables (EPT) by Intel and Nested Page Tables (NPT) by AMD”

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), also known as Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), provides acceleration for memory intensive virtualized applications. Extended Page Tables in Intel® Virtualization Technology platforms reduces the memory and power overhead costs and increases battery life through hardware optimization of page table management.
So now to find a card that isn’t rated to support 100 virtual desktops when I only want to support 10.
So far I’ve found the Quadro cards have Windows 2012 drivers.
All I gotta say is either I’m blind or this should be easier than this.  Microsoft if you want me to jump on the new stuff bandwagon, make this easier to find and buy.

12 Responses to Finding a video card for RemoteFX

1. John says:

I too am building a 2012 Hyper V system and have been going thru the same pain. The only extra link I discoverd was the Windows Server Catalog:

2. Paul Crosbie says:

Not only does the processor need to support SLAT but the BIOS must have the correct support for the features as well and that’s even harder to determine.

3. John says:

Susan,

How do you know this card is Remotefx certified? Does just having 2012 drivers make it remotefx certified?

4. bradley says:

I don’t. Try to find a list of cards RemoteFX certified. I can’t. I just can tell it supports DirectX 11 and has 2012 drivers.

5. John says:

If you look at the link I sent you you will see remotefx certified cards

6. bradley says:

Did you see the price tag for some of those suckers? The Nvidia 6000 model costs more than the server did. And I only see RemoteFX listed for Server 2008 r2?

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Graphics-VCQ2000-PB/dp/B0046HSHD0 That’s $400 which is better but still a tad in the pricy range.

7. John says:

Well I assumed since we are talking servers it was going to be pricey.

8. bradley says:

Well it shouldn’t be more than the server cost itself.

Since even the $400 model one doesn’t give me 100% assurances for Server 2012.

I’m doing a smaller deployment and I’ll be some of these more reasonable models work.

9. John says:

I wanted to give some demos to potential clients so I am ok with the video card. Please post in the future if that card works for you.

10. John says:

Found the Quadro 2000 on Amazon for $290. You just have to click on the New for sale and there is a reseller out of WA with 1 left as I just bought the other one

11. Sean from Chicago says:

I’ll tell you from 1st hand exp. go with the Quadro 4000.

The 2000 will work… But your going to like the 4000 better. I haven’t pushed the edge yet but I will in a few weeks.

12. bradley says:

That would be throwing away $700. RemoteFX doesn’t offer up Aero to MultiPoint 2011.