Yo, Quickbooks, SBS 2011 *is* Server 2008 R2

On September 29, 2016, in news, by susan

So have you spotted this yet?  Quickbooks 2017 throws off an error obviously pulling bad OS string data from something.  Let see if we can get some attention to this and get this fixed.

As … you know Intuit?  SBS 2011 is based on Server 2008 r2.  There is no such thing as Server 2011.

Updated:  Manually install  .net 4.6.2  .  Now install the QB running as compat wizard.  Pick XP sp2 (don’t ask just try it).  Got a report that this worked.

8 Responses to Yo, Quickbooks, SBS 2011 *is* Server 2008 R2

1. Shawn P. Lemay says:

OMG yes!!! I was a beta tester and pointed this out to them – they shut me down. I was so furious!!! Susan – I’ll send you the emails from them if you want – but they just would not hear anything about it! What a cluster and they refused to fix it.

2. Kraig says:

10/05/2016

After calling intuit and being to that they know there is an issue and it SHOULD be fixed, They would not commit to IF or WHEN it would be fixed. So, I decided to roll the dice…after a backup of course.

I was able to upgrade to QB Enterprise 2017 on SBS2011. Server is up and running and all clients online with it.

Pretty painless.

3. Tony says:

Thanks for the tip guys. But whenever I try to install .Net 4.6.1. It says my OS is not supported… I am not sure if this has to do with Exchange installed on it. I am also on SBS 2011.

Can I get away with just installing QuickBooks 2017 using Windows XP compatibility mode?

4. Jon says:

Tried explaining the same problem on live chat today. Got nowhere of course.

QBTech: Thank you for contacting Intuit proadvisor support. How are you doing today?
    QBTech:
    Me: I am receiving an error message while trying to install quickbooks 2017 onto the server. we have Small Business Server 2011 which IS a smaller version of Windows Server 2008 R2.
    QBTech: What is the error message?
    Me: It says that quickbooks cannot install because it does not support Windows Server 2011. Small Business Server 2011 is not in any way related to Windows Server 2011. It is 100% built from Windows Server 2008 R2
    QBTech: I have checked the system requirements for qb 2017 and i do not show Small Business Server 2011 as a supported operating system
    QBTech: I have sent you an article on the system requirements for quickbooks 2017.
    Me: Windows Server 2008 R2 is supported and Windows Server 2011 is not because Microsoft no longer supports it. QuickBooks has confused Small business server 2011 (based off of Windows 2008 R2 and still supported) as being affiliated with Windows Server 2011.
    QBTech: I will check and see what can be done with this
    QBTech: Just a few moments and I will be right back with you.
    Me: ok
    QBTech: Thank you
    QBTech: I have checked into this and at this time the small business 2011 server is not supported with quickbooks. I apologize for this
    QBTech: The only thing I can offer at this time is a feedback link you can submit
    Me: ok
    QBTech: Feedback
    QBTech: I know this is frustrating as they are very similar products. It is just that small business server shares similar properties as server 2011 and therefore does not work currectly with quickbooks.
    Me: I’m afraid it does not. it Is based off of Windows Sever 2008 which is based off of Windows 7. Windows Server 2011 is based off of Windows Vista. the two are nothing alike
    QBTech: I do not work for Microsoft, so I can not quote similarities between different products
    QBTech: All I can go off of our system requirements and small business server 2011 is not listed as a supported operating system
    Me: If Windows Server 2008 is supported SBS 2011 is as well. It’s a programing error mistaking it for Windows Server 2011. The names are similar but again they are nothing alike.
    QBTech: If you believe this is a programming error, the only advice I can give is to make a product suggestion with the link I have provided
    Me: I Will. Thank You
    QBTech: You are welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Me: That’s it Thanks
    QBTech: Have a great day

5. Neal says:

but 4.6.2 wont install on server 2008 ?

6. Vlad says:

How did you update to QB Enterprise 2017 on SBS2011?
    Obviously SBS 2011 is Server 2008, but QB guys to smart to know it I guess.

7. Steven says:

what about .net and exchange compatibility issues? 4.6.2 says not supported for exchange 2010 will this cause issue?

8. Steven says:

Susan, thanks for posting the solution, I was able to work with some others on Intuits forum to address the Exchange concerns

I also posted solution for QB database manager conflict with DNS server socket pool that causes service not to start after reboot. Solution is to add QB ports to socket pool exclusion list.

Reference