Looking for Rogue User Objects in Active Directory

I had this problem I needed to solve earlier today which involved going through about 115,000 users and determining which ones existed in the source of record (some tables in an Oracle database). There’s a bunch of ways to go about this, but, I settled on a solution that involved storing the state information in Active Directory. What I decided to do was task extensionAttribute10 from Exchange as a temporary counter variable on the user objects. Exchange conveniently indexes this attribute as of Exchange 2007 as well which made it further conducive to the task. Thus, the first thing I … Continue reading Looking for Rogue User Objects in Active Directory

Baseline Registry Settings for new Domain Controllers

I have a list of baseline registry settings which I put on any new domain controller. I thought I’d share the VB Script below which sets all these as well as enables some performance counters. Many of the settings are applicable outside of a Domain Controller. Note: These settings have been tested countless times with Windows Server 2003 domain controllers. I indicated where possible which settings do not apply to a Windows Server 2008 (or better) domain controller. I’ve used these on Windows Server 2008 domain controllers however not nearly as many times as prior versions. Feel free to use … Continue reading Baseline Registry Settings for new Domain Controllers