BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Exchange Server 2010 Throttling Policies

One of the new features in Exchange Server 2010 is the concept of Client Throttling Policies. In summary, Client Throttling Policies are designed to limit the amount of system resources a given user can consume and in turn impact performance for other Exchange users. Out of the box there is a default throttling policy (use the Get-ThrottlingPolicy cmdlet) applied to all users: RunspaceId                     : ba3cdf92-fc9f-4a70-a912-2cf225e6d573 IsDefault                      : True EASMaxConcurrency              : 10 EASPercentTimeInAD             : EASPercentTimeInCAS            : EASPercentTimeInMailboxRPC     : EWSMaxConcurrency              : 10 EWSPercentTimeInAD             : EWSPercentTimeInCAS            : EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC     : EWSMaxSubscriptions            : EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds  : 60 EWSFindCountLimit              : IMAPMaxConcurrency             : IMAPPercentTimeInAD            : IMAPPercentTimeInCAS           : IMAPPercentTimeInMailboxRPC    … Continue reading BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Exchange Server 2010 Throttling Policies

How to Create an ActiveSync Device Report

Exchange logs quite a bit of info about ActiveSync device partnerships and you can use this to create reports about the utilization of mobility features in your organization. Getting this data requires a couple of intermediate steps before you can export it to a CSV for processing in something like Excel (or another script). The PowerShell script below will export all of the ActiveSync device relationships in your organization. Keep in mind that this will include old relationships which are no longer active. Depending on how large your organization is and the number of device relationships out there, it may … Continue reading How to Create an ActiveSync Device Report

Small Update to Redirection Blog

Last week, I posted about how to redirect HTTP connects to Exchange 2010 OWA to HTTPS. There was a small issue in the post which I’ve now corrected. If you explicitly disabled HTTP Redirection for the OWA virtual directory, you would break the /exchange, /public, and /exchweb virtual directories which redirect to /owa. If you browse to, you might see the following event in the Application log of your CAS server: Log Name:      Application Source:        ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 Date:          1/31/2010 2:20:16 PM Event ID:      1310 Task Category: Web Event Level:         Warning Keywords:      Classic User:          N/A Computer: Description: Event code: … Continue reading Small Update to Redirection Blog

Redirecting OWA URLs in Exchange 2010

One of the things I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember is redirecting requests that don’t go to (or /exchange) to the correct URL. So, if someone goes to or, they get redirected to the correct (secure) URL. Historically I’ve always done this with two components: A custom website listening on Port 80 on each CAS server A default.aspx file in the root of the Default Web Site redirecting to /owa This approach no longer works with Exchange 2010 CAS because the PowerShell virtual directory actually operates over Port 80 (authentication is Kerberized). If … Continue reading Redirecting OWA URLs in Exchange 2010

McAfee EPO and NLB Clusters

I rolled out McAfee agents to about ten servers yesterday and four of them wouldn’t show up properly in the console. I did the usual troubleshooting with this, played with cmdagent, and didn’t really get far. What I did eventually notice is that while two of my machines would show up as Managed in the console, the other two simply refused. The wierd behavior here is that if I went in cmdagent and resent all the properties of the missing servers, suddenly the other two would disappear from the console. I did a bit of research and it appears that … Continue reading McAfee EPO and NLB Clusters