Just another Microsoft MVPs site

So Exchange SP1 seems to have hosed your Companyweb?

Have no fear, young grasshopper . . .


So I’m applying Exch SP1 on the server here at the office (been running it at home for a little while).  So I finish the install and notice that I can’t access my Companyweb site . . . (which is a bit of a big deal for us – we’re becoming very dependent on Sharepoint . . . we might be able to survive a day without it – but that would be a maximum.


So I’m checking out the Event Viewer, and see the familiar 50070 error relating to Sharepoint.  Luckilly, I know that Susie has blogged this . . .   So I’m checking the fix, and realize that my MSSQL$SHAREPOINT service isn’t running, so I start it and it immediately stops.  So I tried it again (I mean really, did I think the service was playing with me and that by trying it again I’d effectively be showing it that I’m serious – I really want it to start?   But admit it – you’ve all done it too!  :^)   Needless to say – the second time wasn’t a charm.  I open Enterprise Manager to verify – and it cannot connect or start the Sharepoint instance either.  Well, maybe a reboot will help.  (Come on – it may be Windows 2003, but it’s still Windows!  ;^)   And it was a Service Pack installation, even though it didn’t tell me that a reboot was necessary.  So I reboot – and still no dice.


So, since I had ran with the first error I saw, I figured I might want to go check out a few of those other errors in the Event Viewer.  A few entries down, I found these two errors:


Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17055
Date:  7/1/2004
Time:  5:28:24 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: DC
Description:
17120 :
SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17052
Date:  7/1/2004
Time:  5:28:24 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: DC
Description:
Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 1
Could not set up Net-Library ‘SSNETLIB’.


I googled the first, which didn’t help a whole lot.  However, when I googled the second, I at least got a decent number of threads, and the first few pointed to authentication.  Ok, that’s fine & dandy – but the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT service uses the Local System account by default.  I went into the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT service properties and verified that it was set to use the Local System account, which it was.  I decided that just for shits & giggles, I’d change the Log On parameters.  I switched from the Local System account to the Administrator account, and voila! the service finally started and I was able to access Companyweb.  I edited the service properties and switched it back to use the Local System account, stopped the service & restarted it successfully. 


I still have no idea what caused this – and I’m pretty sure that it was related to Exchange SP1 – I rebooted the server before applying the SP, I happened to open Companyweb right before I applied the SP (was thinking about looking something else up and opened IE instead of My Computer :^)  . . .   So Companyweb was working right before Exchange SP1 was installed, but broke after . . .

1 Comment

  1. Svenned

    Hi,

    I experienced the same problem here.

    Yesterday I installed Exchange SP1.

    At night a pre-backup script stops the "MSSQLSERVER" service and starts it afterwards.

    This morning the service wasn’t started.

    I couldn’t start it manually either.

    I started googlin’ and found this article.

    Unfortunately the "trick" with changing the logon parameters didn’t do the trick for me.

    So, if anybody else has a sugestion, it would be more than welcome.

    Anyway, I think we can now be pretty sure Exch SP1 is to blame here. Hope we will see a KB article soon…

    Svenned

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *