I’ve been using Vista for the past month, my first attempt
to move away from Windows XP. I’ve noted
a lot of things about Vista in this time, some that I like and some that I don’t. Just some random thoughts…
- MCML applications make it worth the upgrade to Vista. Period.
- For all Microsoft’s time spent on UI design, why the hell is
the volume and network icon in the System Tray 2d crap?
- Same topic, why is there a gap in between the volume/network/etc
icon and the first program running on the System Tray?
- Flip3D is neat, I don’t see any point of using it though.
- Same applies to the live window previews, my mouse is
already down there and I end up clicking it anywhere.
- Aero is interesting, looks more professional than Luna did
on Windows XP. Classic sucks now though,
especially the Start Menu. I’m a fan of
Classic so that sucks.
- I think I’ve used the new and improved search features
twice. Nice, but I generally know where
my stuff is or browse to find it. Need
to learn to search first.
I noticed when you delete from removable media the files go
into the Recycle Bin. Finally, I’ve been
so many people lose documents because of that.
- Yet to open Windows Contacts, Windows Calendar, Windows DVD
Maker, Windows Meeting Spaces, etc. Nice
additions, they should have been there since Windows 2000 though.
- Turned off Windows Defender, but I’m badass that way. I don’t run virus or spyware junk of any of
my PCs, now the families and girlfriends are a different story.
- I hate that I can’t double click on the clock in the System
Tray and get the calendar. Single clicks
drive me nuts.
- Time synchronization still seems to not work. Hardly ever worked in Windows XP too.
- I wouldn’t run a Media Center machine off of anything less
than a Pentium D with 1GB of RAM. P4 and
below are just horrible.
- Sidebar is nice, but I need to upgrade my monitor to a
widescreen for it to seem more useful.
- I like that Windows Update is more integrated to the
- The Control Panel sucks.
It (Classic View) loads slow and I click too fast for that, so I end up
selecting the wrong icons because they seem to load from the middle out (huh?)
- Shadow Copies is a nice feature, love it in Server but I don’t
know when the last time was I needed to use it.
- Not sure there are any video/audio drivers that don’t suck
- There is no easy link to the “Network and Sharing Center”
from the “Network” located in the Start Menu.
Have to right click that and go to Properties or go through the Control
- Office 2007 is great, expect when I’m going to have to teach
the parents everything over again because it has been redesigned to put things
were you think they should be. Tech support nightmare.
- I’ve just added a Skype phone, and now it says I need to
redo my Experience Index. So many
things wrong with that.
- Games folder and integration is nice, but I’m not a gamer.
- Home Premium should be what Ultimate is. Too many editions. Lets restrict good backup from home users. Sounds like a plan to me.
- My Thinkpad keeps dropping the wireless connection while
connected via RDP. Then it locks me out
saying something about a network connection that does not exist. Worse part, it does the same when I try and
log in locally!
- Sports Lounge is sweet!
- Too bad Internet Explorer didn’t get any better with the
- That’s all for now.