Today Microsoft officially launched their MSNBC News beta in
Media Center to the world (err, I mean US and Canada). This was actually something that popped up on
one of my beta machines a few months ago, but when I asked about it Microsoft
said I wasn’t even supposed to have it, and thus I didn’t blog about it. Much like the Internet TV Beta, access the
new application can be found on the TV + Movies strip.
Dixon and Brandon
LeBlanc have some screenshots up on their respective blogs. These out-of-band “feature” plug-ins might be
Microsoft’s hope to keep the Media Center platform moving between Windows
releases, so I’m hoping this isn’t the last one that we will see.
- Access the latest U.S. Election 08 videos
- Editor Picks and Most Popular videos, as selected by viewers
- Five-day weather forecast for any zip code in the U.S.
- Customize your own news video playlists
- Ability to browse by category, such as Business, Sports, and
- Search for stories
- Related videos for each story