A developer was working on a context-menu shell extension.
He wrote all the skeleton infrastructure code, including some code to display the selected files when the shell extension gets invoked by Windows Explorer. It’s kind of the “Hello World” for context-menu shell extensions.
He happily builds his code within Visual Studio, copies the shell extension DLL to a virtual machine, registers the extension in the VM, right-clicks on a bunch of files… but nothing happens. His extension’s menu items just don’t show up in the Explorer context-menu.
What’s going wrong, he thought?
He starts thinking to all sorts of hypotheses and troubleshooting strategies.
He once again manually registers the COM DLL that implements the shell extension from the Command Prompt:
A message box pops up, informing him that the registration has succeeded.
He tries right-clicking some files, but, once again, his extension’s menu items don’t show up.
He then checks that the extension was properly registered under the list of approved shell extensions (this was part of his shell extension infrastructure C++ code):
He finds the GUID of the shell extension in there, as expected.
He then checks that the extension was registered under the proper subkey in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Found it there, too!
He starts wondering… what may be going so wrong?
He checks the C++ infrastructure code generated by the ATL Visual Studio wizard, including his own additions and modifications. The implementations of DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer seem correct.
He also checks his own C++ code in the C++ class that implements the shell extension’s COM object. He has correctly implemented IShellExtInit::Initialize, and the three methods of IContextMenu: GetCommandString, InvokeCommand, and QueryContextMenu.
He takes a look at the class inheritance list: both IShellExtInit and IContextMenu are listed among the base classes.
He feels desperate. What’s going wrong?? He wrote several shell extensions in C++ in the past. Maybe there’s some bug in the current version of Visual Studio 2019 he is using?
Why wasn’t his context-menu shell extension getting called by Explorer?
I took a look at that code.
At some point, I was enlightened.
I gave a look at the COM interface map in the header file of the C++ shell extension class.
Wow! Can you spot the error?
Something is missing in there!
In fact, in addition to deriving the C++ shell extension class from IContextMenu, you also have to add an entry for IContextMenu in the COM map!
I quickly added the missing line:
I rebuilt the extension, registered it, and, with great pleasure and satisfaction, the new custom items in the Explorer’s context-menu showed up! And, after selecting a bunch of files to test the extension, the message box invoked by the shell extension C++ code was correctly shown.
All right! 😊
So, what was going wrong under the hood?
Basically, since the context-menu shell extension was correctly registered under the proper key in the Windows Registry, I think that Windows Explorer was actually trying to invoke the shell extension’s methods.
In particular, I think Explorer called QueryInterface on the shell extension’s COM object, to get a pointer to IContextMenu. But, since IContextMenu was missing from the COM map, the QueryInterface code implemented by the ATL framework was unable to return the interface pointer back to Explorer. As a consequence of that, Explorer didn’t recognize the extension as a valid context-menu extension (despite the extension being correctly registered in the Windows Registry), and didn’t even call the IShellExtInit::Initialize method (that was actually available, as IShellExtInit had its own entry correctly listed in the COM map from the beginning).
The bug is in the details!
So, the moral of the story is to always check the COM map in addition to the base class list in your shell extension’s C++ class header file. The COM interfaces need to both be in the base class list and have their own entries in the COM map.
And, in addition, to me this experience has suggested that it would have been great if Visual Studio had issued at least a warning for having the IContextMenu COM interface listed among the base classes, but missing from the COM map! This would be an excellent time-and-bug-saving addition, Visual Studio IDE/Visual C++/Visual Assist X teams!