Had some fun during the weekend. Customer asked me to add 3 new fields to an existing External Contents Type hosted on a SharePoint 2010 farm. Simple right?
- SQL Server
- Modify the pre-production database and alter the table to create 3 new varchar fields
- Add some dummy content to some records in pre-production farm
- SharePoint Designer
- Open the pre-production site collection and locate the External Content Type
- Open the external content type look at the operations and update the fields including the new ones
After saving the changes I proceeded to test, and got an error, the view was not displaying the data and gave me a correlation ID, after running a Merge-SPLogFile powershell command this is what I got:
Error while executing web part: System.InvalidOperationException: The Finder ‘SiteCodesRead List’ cannot be found in ViewGroup associated with SpecificFinder (Read Item) operation ‘SiteCodesRead Item’ in EntityNamespace ‘http://preportal.zzzz.com/sites/it’, Entity ‘YYY_SiteCodes_IT_Master’.
What this wonderful error description was trying to tell me is:
Just make sure your Read Item and Read List operation in your ECT have the same fields you dummy
Will not charge the customer for the time I spent figuring out this issue