Vista handles self-signed certificates differently than XP. If you don’t set it up properly, RPC over HTTPS will not work properly for you. Here’s what to do:
1. Run IE as an administrator (Right click on IE, sleect ‘run as administrator’
2. Enter the https URL you wish to visit
3. Click through the certificate error
4. Click the Certificate Error button in the address bar
5. Click View Certificate, then click Install Certificate
6. Click ‘Place all certificates in the following store’ option and then choose the ‘Trusted Root Certification Authorities’
Step 6 is the key. If you choose the option to let it determine the place to store the authority, it will store it in your Personal store, which is not trusted by IE.
And thanks to Russ for the reminder on this procedure!