During the installation of SQL Server 2005 in Windows Vista, the following warning message may appear during System Configuration Check (IIS feature requirement), indicating that IIS is not configured properly.
===== Warning message =====
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is either not installed or is disabled. IIS is required by some SQL Server features. Without IIS, some SQL Server features will not be available for installation. To install all SQL Server features, install IIS from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or enable the IIS service through the Control Panel if it is already installed, and then run SQL Server Setup again. For a list of features that depend on IIS, see Features Supported by Editions of SQL Server in Books Online.
===== Solution =====
1. Log-on with a user having administrative privileges, or invoke applications explicitly as the built-in Administrator using the command ‘runas /user:administrator cmd.exe’.
2. Install IIS 7 on Vista
–> Control Panel
–> Programs and Features
–> Turn Windows features on or off
–> Enable <Internet Information services>
3. Enable various features of IIS
–> Web management tools
–> IIS 6 Management Compatibility
–> IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
–> IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility
–> World Wide Web Services
–> Application Development Features
–> ISAPI Extensions
–> ISAPI Filters
–> Common Http Features
–> Default Document
–> Directory Browsing
–> HTTP Redirection
–> Static Content
–> Windows Authentication
4. Install SQL Server 2005.
5. Be reminded to apply SQL Server 2005 service pack 2.
===== For more information =====
– You receive a warning message on the System Configuration Check page of the SQL Server 2005 Setup program on a computer that is running Windows Vista Beta 2 or a Server Core installation of Windows Server Longhorn http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920201
– How to install IIS7 in Windows Vista Beta 2
– SQL Server 2005 SP2 is now available http://msmvps.com/blogs/martinpoon/archive/2007/02/20/sql-server-2005-sp2-is-now-available.aspx
– Installing SQL Server 2005 tools on an Windows Vista workstation