Still no joy with the NOD32 firewall. It sets up and then fails on a reboot. Oh well, the Windows firewall has always served me well and I have no reason to believe that it will not do the same now. I will contact ESET about it later.
The next few items have installed without problems, but I have only checked out basic functions of each so far..
- Acronis Disk Director 10 – Easeus is a good alternative, but I have this one
- Acronis TrueImage Echo Workstation – works better than the home version
- Cyberlink DVD Suite 6 – I like the Power2Go 6 part
- Diskeeper 2009 – Still the least obtrusive of its genre
- Easy Recovery Professional 6.12 – the expense.. will be the last version I ever buy
- Microsoft MapPoint North America 2009 – Invaluable for finding new client locations
- Microsoft Office Accounting Pro 2009 – Does everything except pay what I owe
- Microsoft FrontPage 2003 – Enables me to construct and maintain my own website
- SnagIt 9.1.2 – The Vista snipping tool on steroids.. a brilliant piece of software
- Windows Live essentials – but not Parental Controls or the Live Toolbar
I am slowly adjusting to the ‘not-as-pretty-as-Vista’ interface, there is still the problem of how to make the Start Menu work for me and I have already set up two user defined toolbars, both of which are filling up nicely. I can afford to do this because I run a double height taskbar at the top of the screen, and it still leaves room for a record of what is running on the screens somewhere.
As speed goes, it is difficult to tell. When beta testing, I had very little installed. Now, Windows 7 is carrying the same load as Vista 64 did, and it has made a distinct difference. However, the gadgets appear to have less slowing effect now they are not tied to a sidebar. Talking of gadgets, I use ‘Control System’ which is better that the native Windows 7 ‘shutdown/restart’ button.
Anyway, welcome to my gateway into Windows 7, half of it at least. There is another screen to the left of this one, but I wanted to show the toolbar and notification area more clearly..
More to follow..