Posts Tagged Update

HP laptop with WD 750 Gb Sata drive, windows update and search service fail

I had a client return a laptop with failing services 

The Windows update and search service will not start. This was a HP laptop and recently had an upgrade from a Seagate 640 Gb 2.5″ sata drive to a 750 Gb WD 2.5″ sata drive.
It turns out that even though I found no evidence of the “Intel rapid storage technology” drivers or software installed, the solution was to update this.

I downloaded and installed “Intel rapid storage technology” from the following site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=nl&lc=en&dlc=en&product
WD drives between 750 Gb to 1 Tb on this laptop will fail with the default Intel driver. As the Device manager does not list this device as installed, I downloaded and tried this regardless and it worked.

This was after I had completed hours of research and tried many other things. I am posting this in the hope it saves someone else time.
I attempted to delete the search indexes and the Update catalogues. I changed folder permissions and registry keys. I reinstalled Search. Nothing made a difference.

 I referred to

Some of the errors in the logs were

 

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Date: 13/02/2013 11:45:19 AM
Event ID: 257
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PC
Description:

The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was: -583.

 

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search
Date: 13/02/2013 1:48:28 PM
Event ID: 1006
Task Category: Search service
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: PC

Description:

The Windows Search Service has failed to create the new search index. Internal error <4, 0x8004117f, Failed to add project: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects>.

 

Tags: , , , ,

Upgrade to latest WordPress failed. Time for a manual upgrade (Windows).

I see the dreaded “failed update” nag message after an auto upgrade failure. This is easily fixed by deleting the file .maintenance from the WordPress directory.  I have easy access to this in “Inetpub\wwwroot”.

Time to do a manual update.

WordPress is a collection of files and a database. The manual update is simply replacing the files and possibly upgrading the MySQL database. For all versions of WordPress on all platforms this is a very similar process. This is my Windows process where I have direct access to the server. 

My first step is to replace the WordPress files

  1. Get the latest WordPress zip file.
  2. Unpack the zip file that you downloaded.
  3. I moved out the old “wp-includes" and “wp-admin" directories on the web site (inetpub\wwwroot\WordPress location). This gives me a fallback plan.
  4. I copied in the new “wp-includes" and “wp-admin" directories to the site  (inetpub\wwwroot\WordPress location).
  5. I copied in the new “wp-content" folder from the Zip file (With the new themes and plugins)  into the existing “wp-content" folder, overwriting existing files.
    NOTE: Don’t delete your existing “wp-content" folder. Don’t delete any files or folders in your existing “wp-content" directory.
  6. Copied all new files from the root directory of the new version to the existing wordpress root directory.

NOTE: replace all the old WordPress files with the new ones in the “wp-includes" and “wp-admin" directories and sub-directories, and in the root directory (such as index.php, wp-login.php and so on).

The final step is to update the installation

Go to the WordPress admin page at /wp-admin and login. If a database upgrade is necessary, WordPress will detect it and give a link to a URL like http://example.com/wordpress/wp-admin/upgrade.php.

Luckily, I did not need to do this.

All Done.

Tags: , ,