Office 2007 uses new file format with extension name as .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, many users do not understand why Microsoft update the new format, and thought that only Office 2007 can open and edit those file format. Please see below.
Get the facts: About Office 2007 File Format
- By installing “Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats”, Office 2000-2003 can open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations in the new file formats of Office 2007.
- .docx, .xlsx, .pptx is XML-based file format with compression of ZIP technology.
- Open XML already is an international open standard. It’s certified by ISO (as ISO 29500) and ECMA (as ECMA-376)
- Open XML is platform independent and easily coexists with other document file formats, including Open Document Format (ODF).
- Open XML has important features supporting long-term document retention, preservation, and accessibility.