- Windows Update Agent API Updated Header Files
Download the updated WUA API header files for developing applications leveraging the WUA Agent public interfaces. You can download header files for the following platforms: i386, ia64bit, and x64bit.
- WSUS Reporting Rollup Sample Tool
This tool uses the WSUS application programming interface (API) to demonstrate centralized monitoring and reporting for WSUS. It creates a single report of update and computer status from the WSUS servers into your WSUS environment. The sample package also contains sample source files to customize or extend the tool functionality of the tool to meet specific needs. The WSUS Reporting Rollup Sample Tool and files are provided AS IS. No product support is available for this tool or sample files. For more information read the readme file.
- Windows Server Update Services
You can now register for and download WSUS. See for yourself how easy it is to have full control over the software that you distribute to computers in your network.
- Server Diagnostic Tool
Download this tool, which has been designed to help administrators gather WSUS server debugging logs and configuration information for further troubleshooting. The Windows Server Update Services Server Diagnostic tool is provided AS IS. No product support is available for this tool. For more information, read the readme file.
- Client Diagnostics Tool
Download this tool, which has been designed to aid the WSUS administrator in troubleshooting client machines that are failing to report back to the WSUS Server. The tool will conduct preliminary checks and test the communication between the WSUS Server and the client machine. Once the tool has completed the tests it will display the results in the console window. The Windows Server Update Services Client Diagnostic tool is provided AS IS. No product support is available for this tool. For more information, read the readme file.
- Windows Server Update Services API Samples and Tools
These samples and tools allow administrators and developers to control the functionality of the WSUS server. For more information, read the readme file.
Windows Server Update Services Tools and Utilities
There will be a new product category added to your WSUS server Products and Classifications dialog under the existing System Center Virtual Machine Manager family, titled Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2. This product provides a comprehensive management solution for the virtualized data center that enables centralized management of virtual machine infrastructure. The new category will allow all classifications of updates to be offered to the Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 product.
This new category should be available in the near future for updates for this product.
WSUS Product Team Blog : New Product Category for Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2
You are not protected with security patches if you are only using windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
You are protected with security patches if you will use update.microsoft.com
Calendar Of Updates -> Don't Use Windows Update anymore!
Modena was put together by a team of people developing solutions for Microsoft's own internal IT group. They have made the tools available as-is on the Connect website for others to use as they wish (with no support or any plans for ongoing updates – as soon as MS IT is happy with them they're done). We are having some discussions with the team to see how we can integrate these tools into MDT, but there are no definitive plans at this point.
[mssms] Modena – deploying drivers through WSUS – SMS-ConfigMgr Email Discussion List Archive
WSUS 3.0 SP2 RC Overview
New Windows Server and Client Version Support
· Integration with Windows Server® 2008 R2
· Support for the BranchCache feature on Windows Server 2008 R2
· Support for Windows 7 client
WSUS Feature Improvements
· Auto-approval rules now include the ability to specify the approval deadline date and time for all computers or specific computer groups.
Update Files and Languages
· Improved handling of language selection for downstream servers includes a new warning dialog that appears when you decide to download updates only for specified languages.
· WSUS 3.0 SP2 can be installed as an in-place upgrade from earlier versions of WSUS and will preserve all of your settings and approvals. The user interface is compatible between WSUS 3.0 SP1 and SP2 on the client and the server.
· New Update and Computer Status reports provide the ability to filter on updates approved for installation. You can run these reports from the WSUS console or use the API to incorporate this functionality into your own reports.
· Stability and reliability fixes for the WSUS server, such as support for IPV6 addresses greater than 40 characters.
· The approval dialog now sorts computer groups alphabetically by group name.
· Computer status report sorting icons are now functional in x64 environments.
· Fixed setup issues with database servers running Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008.
· A new release of Windows Update Agent is included with WSUS 3.0 SP2 that provides improvements and fixes, such as support for APIs called by non-local system callers in a non-interactive session.
For more information about this release refer to the Release Notes for Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 RC.
Today the WSUS product group launched the WSUS 3.0 Service Pack 2 beta program over on our Connect site so if you want to get a head start on testing and evaluating this Service Pack then you'll want to make your way over there and download a copy today. WSUS 3.0 Service Pack 2 addresses a number of product features and fixes and includes the addition of support for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Just remember that you have to be a registered Connect user and logged in or you won't see the download being available.
The official Connect site where you can read the documentation and download your own copy of the beta is here:
The WSUS product team blog also has a nice write-up detailing our new OS support, feature improvements and fixes in the SP here:
The WSUS Support Team Blog : WSUS 3.0 SP2 beta now available
From the WSUS product team blog:
Today you will see two new product categories in your WSUS Synchronization Options dialogs: Windows Server 2008 Server Manager – Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Dynamic Installer and Windows Server 2008 Server Manager Dynamic Installer.